Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I can't get Sky broadband using cables or wireless - Sky says it's my laptop!?

This is a discussion on I can't get Sky broadband using cables or wireless - Sky says it's my laptop!? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello - I hope you can help me! I recently had Sky TV put in plus a new BT Phone ...

struzee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I can't get Sky broadband using cables or wireless - Sky says it's my laptop!?

Hello - I hope you can help me! I recently had Sky TV put in plus a new BT Phone line and Sky Broadband. I got a Wireless router and the normal yellow ethernet cables etc. I can not get connected to the internet using the cables or through the wireless connection. I am able to connect and sign in to my Sky wireless signal using the network key but I can't browse the pages don't load.

I contacted Sky technical help and the girl was very helpful. She went through trying different things

-using the Sky Router support page, to change channels and profile names

-Command prompt (using an address 192.168.0.1 to see packets sent, received and lost - each time it was fine) and also something 'tracert' and 'netstat' - everything was as normal.

-then she went in to Control Panlel, Administrative Tools, Services, then Wireless Zero Configuration, then under the box that says
      Path to executable: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
      it says
      Startup type : Automatic
      then under that
      Service status : Stopped

Then under that it has buttons that say Start, Stop, Pause, Resume
      and at the time the only button that could be clicked was 'Stop' I couldn't click 'Start' and the woman said that I would need to phone Dell as it was a problem with my computer - I couldn't receive Broadband. This morning I realised I could press the 'Start' button if I touched the drop down box that says 'Automatic' then the 'Start' button could be pressed.

I don't think it is a problem with my laptop as I get 3 Mobile Broadband and I was up until recently receiving my University's free wireless internet, when in the zone to receive it. After I spoke to that woman I phoned again to say that "You never tried to help me with the yellow cables connected!". I spoke to a man who asked me to put both ends of the yellow cable into the modem router and that worked fine. He also checked something on Sky's Router Maintenence page and said that everything was ok and that it seems like it is a problem with my computer but I think they are just trying to fob me off as I've never had a problem with my laptop before and have always received the internet - up until I paid for Sky! I'm hoping someone can help figure out what's wrong! Also I meant to say that when the girl was helping me to change channels for the router modem I was receiving some 'net' as when I typed in Google.com the browser tab changed from New Tab to 'Google' i.e. it looked like it was ready to load even though nothing was showing up on screen the same when I typed in BBC and Sky web address's the website showed up on the tabs, but nothing on the page and the status bar just staying still at one small green bar.

2. Advertisement
      steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

Re: I can't get Sky broadband using cables or wireless - Sky says it's my laptop!?

Why are you convinced that Sky are fobbing you off? At first glance I'd suggest that your laptop is still trying to use your mobile broadband, remove that by uninstalling all it's software and delete all your networks in the control panel.

What version of Windows are you using?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: I can't get Sky broadband using cables or wireless - Sky says it's my laptop!?

If you are seeing Wireless Zero Configuration in the Services, then I would say you are running XP. Is it up to date with all Service Packs? You need at least Sp2 for it to be compatible with WPA2 which is the router default. Plug the yellow cable into your laptop and one of the router ports, it does not matter which one. Reboot your laptop. If you are still unable to connect, pull the switch the power off to your router for a minute, then on again, try to connect.

If you are able to connect with the yellow cable, go into the router settings, type http://192.168.0.1 in the browser address bar. Click the setup link and go down to Security Options and click the Disable button. Disconnect the yellow cable and try to connect with wireless.

If you are unable to connect using the yellow cable, boot your laptop into Safe Mode with Networking. Try to connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Presumably your using IE:
      Verify there is no proxy set up:
      Tools - Internet Options - Proxy Settings
      Make sure that there is no proxy set up there.
      Additionally connect with the ethernet cable and go to Start-Programs-Accessories-Command Prompt
      Type in "tracert google.co.uk" without the quotes and let us know what the result is.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB