Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sky broadband amber light on

This is a discussion on Sky broadband amber light on within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I hope some of you may be able to give me ...

ZenZen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky broadband amber light on

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I hope some of you may be able to give me some guidance as to a problem I have with Sky broadband. I have only recently migrated to Sky from another interent provider, MAC code supplied to Sky and connection date given, this is now three days ago.

All the kit arived and I set this up ready for connection. The router (please excuse me as I dont have the details at present - but will supply these) powers up, does it's light sequence, couple of green lights on, then the amber blinks for about 20 seconds and stays constant amber. It has been left on tehse last few days and I have tried the power down etc. but still to no avail. Still just getting an amber light.

Can I ask what any of you advise?

Thanks,
      ZenZen

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband amber light on

Chances are you've not migrated yet and the router is failing authentication on your old ISPs server...that or your router is being blocked for some reason

Log into the router and copy/paste the connection stats and we can comment further
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I had actually been checking the forum for similar topics and had typed in the URL Address for the config page http://192.168.0.1 as noted from another thread.

Unfortunately I just got the "Internet explorer cannot display..." page coming up. This was with the router connected to the computer via the LAN cable, the LAN socket has the green light on to the back of the computer when connected. Is there something else I may be doing wrong to get this message?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
      ZenZen

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your PC is probably still looking for the old router. There are ways to fix this, the easiest being plug the router into your PC and reboot the PC. This assumes you have your LAN card set to the default, 'Obtain IP address automatically.

As mentioned, you are synced with the exchange but not yet 'shaking hands' with Sky broadband. If you are transferring with a MAC, leave your old router/modem connected until the connection drops, Plug in the Sky router and you should be connected within an hour.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I will check that the LAN card has 'Obtain IP address automatically’ selected via the control panel when I get home. Can I also ask and excuse my ignorance on this; my old providers subscription will not run out till the end of the month, should there be an issue then with the migration to Sky until that date? Or should it be picking up the Sky, even though my other provider is still in effect “live”

Thanks

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Until the migration has completed you'll still be online with your other ISP. If you plug your old router back in can you get online? If so, you're not on Sky yet
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Until the migration has completed you'll still be online with your other ISP. If you plug your old router back in can you get online? If so, you're not on Sky yet
      Hello again and thanks for the replies. Last night when I plugged my Speedtouch modem in (I am on dial up) - I was still able to get online. So by the looks of it I will have to wait until my other ISP has ceased then.

Thanks for all your help.

ZenZen

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Dial up and broadband are two different beasts. If you were on dial up you did not need a MAC, in fact I don't think you would have been able to get one. I imagine you are on broadband but with a USB modem, which is not always on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Dial up and broadband are two different beasts. If you were on dial up you did not need a MAC, in fact I don't think you would have been able to get one. I imagine you are on broadband but with a USB modem, which is not always on.
      Sorry, yes you are correct, it was a USB modem which switches off when the PC shuts off. Dont know what I was thining of there! LOL!!

I'll just use away that my current ISP, until that "ends" and re-try then.

Thanks again,
      ZenZen

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello again everyone, I got home last night and foudn taht my old ISP would no longer connect. I did however manage to log on to see teh router and got tehse stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6304 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 db 21.0 db
      Noise Margin 15.1 db 26.0 db

Connection Status
      Connection Time 0:00:00
      Connecting to Server PPP Server Down
      Negotiation PPPoA
      Authentication AUTO
      Getting IP Address
      Getting Network Mask

Still amber light on constant.