Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Very slow speeds after DLM

This is a discussion on Very slow speeds after DLM within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, I recently joined Sky Broadband, as they were offering the best speeds in our area, for the best ...

Ratsteak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Very slow speeds after DLM

Hi guys, I recently joined Sky Broadband, as they were offering the best speeds in our area, for the best price. When the connection started, I had the standard 4mbps download speed, but a couple of days into DLM the connection slowed to around 0.3mbps, and stayed there throughout the rest of the process, with only the upload speed changing.

Currently, the modem is plugged into the test socket, with a filter and the the supplied grey cable running to the modem.

Sky themselves claimed we should be getting around 6mbps, though I'm not sure if we could get more. The DLM finished a couple of days ago, so I phoned Sky this morning and the lady on the phone did agree with me that the connection was slow. She said to wait an hour or two, and the speed should increase, but so far nothing has happened. Have I been fobbed off, or do I need to just wait a little longer?

Any help would be appreciated guys, as I can't really get on with speeds like this:

Thanks in advance for anything you can suggest!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Very slow speeds after DLM

Try your test socket, as it stands there nothing more to have
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

The modem is currently plugged into the test socket. I'm sure I should be getting more than 0.3-0.4mbps as the attenuation is not that high.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Very little SNR to push out more speed, however. Looks like DLM has capped you at 384/256.

What exactly do you have connected to the test socket? Swap over for a different filter and only connect the short grey dsl cable Sky supplied to it with no phone or sky tv etc. connected. If your SNR doesn't shoot up, then you're going to need to call Sky back again. Is there any noise or issues on the landline?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Something is not right there with those stats.

When you are connected to the TEST socket, are all the other phone points dead and do you have an alarm connected to the phone line?

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Thanks

@User05: Ah, okay. I've swapped around 4 different filters. Currently, my setup is:

Test Socket -> Filter-> Grey Sky dsl cable -> Sky Sagem Modem

Nothing else is plugged in, I've unplugged the phone as you suggested, and this is what it all looks like now:

I don't have a corded phone to check the landline with, the cheap cordless one we have is rather fuzzy, but it is close to the router. If I could get my hands on a corded one, and do a quiet line test, would that provide any clues as to what is going on?

@Smithy99: There are no other phone points, the line comes in by the front door, along the skirting for a bit, and goes straight into the master socket. Nothing else is connected, nor are there any extensions etc.

Thanks for the help so far.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsteak View Post
      I don't have a corded phone to check the landline with, the cheap cordless one we have is rather fuzzy, but it is close to the router. If I could get my hands on a corded one, and do a quiet line test, would that provide any clues as to what is going on?
      Audible noise would definitely be something you'd need to rule out. First off, plug the handset you have into the test socket, with no router, filter etc. plugged in.

If there is noise at the test socket with just the handset - If you know any of your neighbour's well enough, take the handset to their house and test it out there. If it isn't noisy at their house, then it's your line and you're going to want to report that to your line rental provider (BT - 0800800151 or Sky - 08442410515). Of course, if it is still noisy at theirs, then ask to borrow one of their known 'non-noisy' handsets and check it at your test socket.

If there is no noise at the test socket with just the handset - Plug in the filter, grey dsl cable and your phone again. Let the router sync up. Pick up the landline and confirm the buzzing is present. Once you've done that, unplug the dsl cable and confirm whether the noise is gone. If so, you're likely looking at a router/dsl cable fault.

Thanks

I've done the quiet line test, and there is definitely audible noise, though very faint. This noise is present when the phone is plugged in on its own, as well as when it is plugged in alongside the modem. But, of course, using a cordless phone, the noise is present at the dial tone, as well as when phoning 17070, so its hard to tell if it is a problem with the line, or just interference with the cordless phone. I'll try and get my hands on a corded phone tomorrow and check again.

Strangely, when the router re-synced this time, the downstream attenuation went down to 35db, and the noise margin has been fluctuating between 5.5db and 9.5db, with the connection stable throughout.

A friend of mine a couple of doors up the road had issues with his Sky Broadband on his activation date, with his broadband not working at all, and had Openreach engineers out working in the street the next day. His connection has been fine since, so perhaps I may be having a similar problem?

Exchange:
      Thanks

It's always possible that there is a fault between the DP and your NTE, like your neighbour has experienced. If you do confirm that there is noise present with another handset, then as suggested, call your line rental provider and log it as a line quality fault. One that is sorted, then Sky can look at uncapping the line as the SNRs should hopefully have shot up once the fault is cleared.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

Ratsteak (08-11-10)

Thanks

Thanks, you've been a great help so far. I've been on the the phone to sky, who ran a few tests on the line, and the rep quite firmly said the maximum I can receive is just under 1.5mbps, when during the first 4-5 days of DLM I was on a constant 4mbps with no noticeable issues.
      To be honest, I'd be happy to get back to that speed. If there isn't any noise on the line when I check, do you think I would be able to have my speed put back up to where it was?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast