Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Very slow speeds after DLM

This is a discussion on Very slow speeds after DLM within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Ratsteak If there isn't any noise on the line when I check, do you think I would ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Very slow speeds after DLM

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsteak View Post
      If there isn't any noise on the line when I check, do you think I would be able to have my speed put back up to where it was?
      It's possible, yes. Albeit, the SNRs would suggest otherwise, there are times when the SNR is basically at default but when Sky reprofile the line the speed will go up regardless.

If it turns out there is no noise on the line itself and the noise you were hearing is down to a dodgy handset, then call Sky back up. If someone suggests that all you can receive is ~1mbps or whatever they suggested, tell them politely that is nonsense and tell them what you've done i.e. tried numerous filters at the test socket with no extension cables. It should be escalated to CST (Customer Solutions Team) to be looked at and they'll hopefully resolve it asap.

2. Advertisement
      Ratsteak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I managed to get hold of a corded phone, and did a quiet line test. There is a definite fuzzy sound, which gets louder then quieter every ten or so seconds. Also, there is an intermittent popping noise. Would this point to a line quality fault?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsteak View Post
      I managed to get hold of a corded phone, and did a quiet line test. There is a definite fuzzy sound, which gets louder then quieter every ten or so seconds. Also, there is an intermittent popping noise. Would this point to a line quality fault?
      Most definitely. Call your line rental provider and report the fault - you may find their line tests 'pass', and you'll perhaps be read a statement that if the fault is found on your equipment or wiring that you'll be charged for the Openreach visit. If this is the case, from the checks you've been through, the fault is not going to be your equipment so nothing to worry about.

Thanks

I phoned Sky about the noise on the line, and the guy on the phone was extremely helpful. He did a line test and found that nothing appeared to be wrong, but as I'd tried a couple of phones in the test socket he was fairly confident that the problem was worth escalating to CST, and an Openreach engineer should be out on Thursday.
      Whilst I was on the phone he also noticed that I had made a few calls about my broadband speeds, so tried some different settings whilst I was on the phone, and changed from ADSL2 to G.DMT. He managed to get about a 2mbps stable connection to tide me over until the line gets sorted, and was very helpful in explaining what he was doing on his end, for example the number of errors that the connection had at 3mbps, and why he had to drop it down. He said they should be able to squeeze a few more meg out of it one they fix the noise on the line, which was good to hear. But I will wait and see.
      Thanks for the help so far User05, its been invaluable!

Thanks

An Openreach engineer popped round at quarter past eight this morning, and did find a fault with the line. After fixing it, the phone line is now perfect, and the router stats are looking a lot different:

The helpful guy in tech support said that CST would be keeping an eye on my broadband after my line is fixed, so I'll wait a few days and see what happens. Just quickly asking, does anyone have any ideas what speeds I could possibly get with those stats? Cheers for all the help so far!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

16-18Mbps at a conservative guess - that's a huge noise margin...

To err on the side of caution I'd say 14Mbps should be the minimum
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Sky rang back to check if the line had been fixed to our satisfaction, and my housemate who answered the phone asked about putting our broadband speeds up. The speeds have been put up to ~8mbps, and apparently that is as much as we can get. But again, I'm not convinced, as three days ago 1.5mbps was the most our line could ever possibly hope to handle...
      Now, when the line was slow I think I may have been put on G.DMT, would this explain the 8 meg cap? Is it a simple phonecall to ask to be put back on ADSL2, or is it something I need to pester them about?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Now, when the line was slow I think I may have been put on G.DMT, would this explain the 8 meg cap?
      You are probably correct, post your stats for confirmation. Your previous stats 2496/256 show you were on G,DMT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Here are the latest stats:

Does it look like G.DMT?

Exchange:
      Thanks

It is g.dmt. Call Sky and get them to change the line code to adsl2plus.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast