Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

New to Sky Broadband - Questions!

This is a discussion on New to Sky Broadband - Questions! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, So I'm in need of some help and advice from those more experienced then I with Sky and ...

SaitanMar is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Dudley, England.

New to Sky Broadband - Questions!

Hello all,

So I'm in need of some help and advice from those more experienced then I with Sky and in particular Sky Broadband. First of all I feel I should explain my current situation before I go asking many questions. Ever since we first had the internet all those years ago we have been using Cable internet, we were originally with Blueyonder Broadband which eventually became Virgin Media. Now this as been many years and to be totally honest with you we have grown to detest Virgin Media over the past two years. It's only recently that we finally got around to change providers, this is due to the hassle we felt changing providers would cause. We went with Sky, and got involved in that monster package.

Now to bring things to up date, the TV is up and running wonderfully well and tomorrow BT are set to come and sort out some phone lines. I should explain that for some reason our BT line was cut some years ago by either Virgin Media or Sky themselves (why I have no idea) so we need to get them fixed. Now here's the problem, as a Rhuematoid Arthritis sufferer the internet is important to me, so I want to make sure I both understand everything and can tackle any problems that may occur when the BT employee comes (as I was told by the very nice Sky employee who fitted our TV box that they can be a moody bunch). Now right now I have the VM router working upstairs in my room where it's connected to a seperate wireless router (should note that the VM router is an old Blueyonder router) which as both ethernet connections and of course wireless connections into each room upstairs.

I know Sky uses the BT phone lines instead of cables, which causes a problem. It means I will need to set the router downstairs near a phoneline. Which is frustrating to be honest, as I still prefer to connect certain appliances using ethernet cables for a more stable experience online. Hopefully the BT employee will be nice enough to discuss this issue further tomorrow and the Sky employee stated that they should be able to fit one upstairs so I can setup the router upstairs. But would that mean a seperate phoneline which causes more problems, as the Sky Broadband box only contains two microfilters, one I will need for the downstairs main phone and one for the Sky box if I'm not mistaken.

So, is it possible to set up the router upstairs? Having done some research on the subject it doesn't seem likely. It looks like I will need to get a wireless adapter for my main PC which is frustrating and certainly not ideal as I would much prefer connecting it up using an ethernet cable. I guess I could set up a long ethernet cable inton the room but that will be tricky and if a easier setup is out there I would be glad to hear about it.

So if anyone as any advice or help on the subject that would be wonderful, I'm not unfamilar with the subject so if you need to get technical, get technical.

I appreciate the help,

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: New to Sky Broadband - Questions!

Your best bet would be to get a pair of Homeplugs and create a homeplug network. This uses your power wires as an ethernet network. You can then plug your existing router into the receiving plug and hopefully carry on as before. As you will be using a new access point, you will have to make changes to the settings of your own router and possibly the Sky one.

This will give you an idea how Homeplug works, the actual items can be got cheaper elsewhere.
      Homeplug |

It would help members to help you if you posted the exact name and model number of your existing router.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.