Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Losing the route?

This is a discussion on Losing the route? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; H'lo all, Over the past couple of weeks, I've had some minor hiccups, and I'm trying to track down whether ...

reech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Losing the route?

H'lo all,

Over the past couple of weeks, I've had some minor hiccups, and I'm trying to track down whether it's Sky, routing along the way in the big wide world, or if I'm just unlucky and two services I'm using are having problems at the same time

Browsing, email and everything else I'm doing appears to be fine.

When playing World of Warcraft, I'm getting spots and moments when things suddenly seem to 'forget what I'm doing' - so button pushes don't register, or battles freeze - this will usually result in my dying. I've followed instructions on their forums (no replies to help) and then on their webform (some further instructions to try - with a fourth step saying "If non of the above helps, it's your ISP, speak to them..." This is the only program I can get this happening on regularly - it's been on and off for a few weeks. (There's actually info on the tech support forums about this; however it seems to mostly be affecting Virgin Media people, and a few European ISPs; I can't tell if it's other Sky-customers getting this.)

When playing other online games (Lord of the Rings Online, Team Fortress, etc.) there's no problem, none of this odd lagging-dropping-out stuff.

When watching iPlayer or listening to streaming radio, after about 5 minutes of watching, it then goes into 'buffering' mode - just like it's not been able to grab any more data and waiting to get a bit more - but it won't manage to pick stuff back up. Now, this doesn't course the router to drop connection; I can be using browser quite merrily and experience this crap-out - so the connection is still there and working, it's just like the activity I was doing has 'lost the plot'!

Now, just for amusement value, I started posting this here after getting the cutout on my streaiming radio station at 3 minutes on the dot both times. And it's taken me about 7 minutes to post this, and I was about to point out 'oh it's fine now...' but surprise surprise, buffering came up. However, this time it's picked it up about 30 seconds later.

Streaming radio has never done this for me before, so I'm at a loss as to where to start getting into this - is there any network monitoring 'live things' I can run so I can see if something is vanishing down a black hole on my computer \ router (which is unlikely, since everything else is working fine!) or is there something that can sit alongside my programs and show the route things are taking LIVE as it were (rather than a simple tracert which, to be honest, might not show an accurate picture, since things seem fine and then crap out every so often.)

Much appreciated for any pointers!
      ---reech---

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Losing the route?

Quote Originally Posted by reech View Post
      When watching iPlayer or listening to streaming radio, after about 5 minutes of watching, it then goes into 'buffering' mode - just like it's not been able to grab any more data and waiting to get a bit more - but it won't manage to pick stuff back up.
      Usually, that would suggest errors building or a dodgy wireless connection but then again it wouldn't explain why everything else is fine. Post up your stats out of curiosity:

How to get your router statistics

Edit: If you do indeed have the v1 netgear, then get your detailed stats:

http://pathogenrush.blogspot.com/200...-1skuk_20.html

Thanks

Here's the stats, from a Sagem Modem:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15285 kbps 1112 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19.0 db 8.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.6 db 7.9 db

Is there any 'cleanliness things' I should do in the router setup that might cause horror? I do remember (in the early days of having a netgear router with Sky) that I had to turn UPNP off, sort out some MTU settings and daub blood on the walls, etc. - I haven't done anything with the Sagem router I received earlier this year (but, noticeably months before my current problems!)

Any things I should turn on and off?
      ---reech---

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You should be doing better than that which points to a wiring issue which could be causing errors.

Can you get the stats again from the TEST socket with a different filter if you can:- How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Thanks

I'll have a go later in the week at that; will see if anything gets better and post up the values from the test socket. (Got to be honest though; I've been with sky for 4 years, with no problems like I'm having just in WoW \ streaming audio at the moment!)
      ---reech---

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Again, just trying to rule out the obvious issues first, but are you connecting wirelessly at all? Can you play the game or stream on another machine without issues, or do you have issues on your whole network?

Thanks

Just darting back on and off while doing some work - hence not unplugging and replugging things in other room right now...

I'm connected by wire to the router on the PC, and wirelessly to the Mac. Regardless on if I'm using both to play Warcraft, or one-not-the-other, we get strange Warcraft-lag; and not always at the same time...

Again - everything else works fine (radio-streaming permitting!), as does the game Lord of the Rings Online, hence me wondering if there's any tools I can use to 'spy' on my own connection and routes, to see if I can work out any pattern as to when these hiccups occur.

I will take time to connect to the test socket during the next week, although I'll no longer be able to connect wired-like to my PC; but I will still be able to do the wireless thing to the Mac.
      ---reech---

Reapercore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlewick Green
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reech View Post
      Just darting back on and off while doing some work - hence not unplugging and replugging things in other room right now...

I'm connected by wire to the router on the PC, and wirelessly to the Mac. Regardless on if I'm using both to play Warcraft, or one-not-the-other, we get strange Warcraft-lag; and not always at the same time...

Again - everything else works fine (radio-streaming permitting!), as does the game Lord of the Rings Online, hence me wondering if there's any tools I can use to 'spy' on my own connection and routes, to see if I can work out any pattern as to when these hiccups occur.

I will take time to connect to the test socket during the next week, although I'll no longer be able to connect wired-like to my PC; but I will still be able to do the wireless thing to the Mac.
      You can run wireshark whilst running WoW, get it to capture and then see what it says when you get the lag in WoW

Thanks

Thanks for help previously with this, everyone.

Sky have been in contact (after I called tech support) and identified that many other customers are experiencing similar problems with Warcraft. Regarding the streaming issue, iPlayer's been fine, and it's just 'this one station in America' that's causing problems - so that's them, not me

Sky have opened a ticket 1661865 for people who are having Warcraft routing issues; this is affecting players in Europe AND in America, so it's something Blizzard's end, not ours. I'll do something constructive for a few weeks.

Like play a different game, or something
      ---reech---

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

My next door neighbour is have continual problems with WoW and he is on TalkTalk. I have openned all the necessary ports for him and it has made no difference, so the problem is not confined to Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast