Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

mac code...

This is a discussion on mac code... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi can someone please confirm, i WONT get cut off IF i choose not to use my mac code? I ...

bigmike20vt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01440
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk Fibre
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

mac code...

Hi

can someone please confirm, i WONT get cut off IF i choose not to use my mac code?

I am thinking of leaving sky but not certain.

I have my migration code, but if i do not use it will it simply expire?

cheers

M.

(Am unhappy at having to pay for a wireless G modem router to replace my faulty one when i have one spare at home. ideally i want a gigabit one but sky do not provide those).

If they insist on using their tat they should summply FOC or at least off subsidised top of the line stuff, not "adequate" gear for top market price.

(but i am happy with the service so i may sleep on it and bite the bullet and just use their new one and pay them)
      Fiat Coupe. Gone but not forgotten

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: mac code...

Check in your account in your MySky page, it may show there whether you are due to be cancelled. Getting a MAC does not constitute notice that you are leaving, but knowing Sky it is quite possible whoever gave you the MAC also pressed the Cancel button.

not "adequate" gear for top market price.
      You will have problems getting a top market router for 28.

Why not use your own? Many do, despite the T & Cs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

bigmike20vt (05-11-10)

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

I agree, just use your own router.

I assume you received the D-Lnk router from Sky?

I got the new D-Link router from Sky and find it surprisingly good, but others don't find Sky's routers much good. Even the latest D-Link routers can have their username & password extracted from them now, thus enabling you to use your own router.

Here's a link to where you can download the username & password extraction program for the D-Link router.

D-Link router username & password extractor

Before I migrated to Sky, I got my MAC code from my last ISP and they mentioned on the email (which included the MAC code) that the MAC code is valid for 30 days (I assume after 30 days it would expire). I would expect this to be the norm for all ISP's with regards to MAC codes.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

In theory, a MAC is valid for 30 days then expires, if you don't use it then you should just continue as you are.

I would also suggest just using your own router (assuming you can get the user and pass from the old one), that said, my V1 Netgear is still running strong after around 3 years stuck under a bed

bigmike20vt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01440
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk Fibre
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi

Thanks for all the help, given that it seems heat is the issue (its a netgear V1 router which i have now got my username and PW off) i tried putting the router on its side for more air flow and it has been "up" all weekend with no crashes.

Despite Sky not caving and sending me a replacment router, i have saved SOME money... i did not realise its now only 7.50 a month for unlimited (if i sign up for another 12 months)

so i have done that. The guy on the phone did say, if i let them terminate my line, and then resign up i would get a new router but it would mean 2 weeks offline.

So stuff that, i am just gonna chance my current router lasting with better airflow and if it doesnt, well i will get myself a gigabit modem router

thanks again.
      Fiat Coupe. Gone but not forgotten

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i tried putting the router on its side for more air flow and it has been "up" all weekend with no crashes.
      This is a well known problem with many routers, not just the Sky ones. You should have it set up on end using the supplied legs to ensure maximum airflow around the unit. If you have been using it on flat, you have been lucky it lasted so long.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.