Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Using DG834 with Netgear WNDR3700 (N600)

This is a discussion on Using DG834 with Netgear WNDR3700 (N600) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Isn't there a place in the DG in modem mode to put the username and password in? I would have ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Using DG834 with Netgear WNDR3700 (N600)

Isn't there a place in the DG in modem mode to put the username and password in? I would have thought there was as it is the modem that makes the connection, it would have to have the login details somewhere. I have never tried DGTeam firmware, so I can't be sure, maybe Simon will know how it should be set up

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Carnagerover (05-11-10)

3. Advertisement
      Carnagerover is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Isn't there a place in the DG in modem mode to put the username and password in? I would have thought there was as it is the modem that makes the connection, it would have to have the login details somewhere. I have never tried DGTeam firmware, so I can't be sure, maybe Simon will know how it should be set up
      Hi,

Basically when you put the DG834GT into modem only mode it establishes the connection to the internet fine, however it takes away the option to enter the username and password, that then goes to whatever the next router is.

That is where the problem is, the WNDR3700 has PPPOE, whereas when the DG834GT is in router+modem mode you put the username and password in, but use the encapsulation PPPOA so it works fine.

I was hoping this would work, as it is the easiest way to make sure your not messing you internet up with a straight modem passing on the adsl to a more capable router.

However it would seem that using the DMZ method is just about the next best thing, I could get a Draytek Modem and use that as it has PPPOA to PPPOE bridging, however from what people are saying there doesn't seem to be a great point in doing so.

Basically as long as the following are happening then i'm happy to stick with the current method.

The WNDR3700 does the routing and uses the DG834GT as a modem only
      No double Nat from using two routers
      No Firewall problem, however using the DMZ avoids this from what I understand, however the firewall on the WNDR3700 is working to make the internet connection secure.

Is there any possible gain by adding a modem only to the WNDR3700?

Thanks

Is there any possible gain by adding a modem only to the WNDR3700?
      It's only a personal opinion, but I don't think so. Using the Sky router as you are, you have the advantage of having extra ports available should you need them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Carnagerover (05-11-10)

Exchange:
      Thanks

It's only a personal opinion, but I don't think so. Using the Sky router as you are, you have the advantage of having extra ports available should you need them.
      Thanks for getting back to me,

If I did end up plugging devices into the DG834GT would that still route through the WNDR3700 or would that use the DG834GT?

If the Draytek was cheap then I would get one, however its around 50 so it seems a waste of money really.

Thanks

They would use the GT for routing. The WNDR3700 is in the DMZ, which does not effect anything plugged into the GT. If the DHCP server is turned off you would need to manually configure the address of any device you plug into the GT. I am not certain, with the setup you are using, whether the DHCP has to be turned off. As it is in a different address range you may be able to turn it on. Simon has more experience than I in this, so he may be able to confirm or otherwise when he comes in.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

They would use the GT for routing. The WNDR3700 is in the DMZ, which does not effect anything plugged into the GT. If the DHCP server is turned off you would need to manually configure the address of any device you plug into the GT. I am not certain, with the setup you are using, whether the DHCP has to be turned off. As it is in a different address range you may be able to turn it on. Simon has more experience than I in this, so he may be able to confirm or otherwise when he comes in.
      A friend of mine has got a Linksys AM-200 that he no longer requires so I am going to give that a go, he says that I can have it if it works so maybe this will be a good solution, I did have a look at buying one but they are discontinued now.

Looking into this more I don't think that the AM-200 offers PPPOA to PPPOE bridging, from what I can see only the Draytek ADSL modems do.
      Last edited by Carnagerover; 05-11-10 at 03:43 PM.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The AM200 does what is called "Half-Bridge" which basically lets you put the username and password directly into it and it passes the Internet IP directly out to the cable router. Works very well with ADSL + Cable routers.
      As for your question about plugging devices into the DG834GT you can do this but you would have to either reenable DHCP with a range of 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.254 or as isitme mentioned earlier use static ip's on those devices. The snag in doing this is that there wont be any through access to the devices connected to your WNDR3700 as they would be treated as devices on the internet by this and would be blocked from access.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Also on a related note,

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that webpages keep timing out on google chrome, then when I press reload it comes up instantly. I switched over to Firefox and when the normal timeouts would happen on chrome, they just take an extended amount of time on Firefox.

This was happening before I put the new WNDR3700 into the mix, both on my DG834Gt and DG934G

I switched my DNS servers to OpenDNS and that made my webpages load faster, however I still get the timeouts?

I asked my other half and she says she hasn't had the problem to her knowledge, she is running a netbook on XP whereas I have a Laptop on Win7. I have the latest Atheros drivers installed and only very recently did a full re-install.

Any ideas on what could be causing the timeouts?

Here are my stats just incase;

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 13719037 24951683 0 4114 13190 47:11:05
      LAN 100M/Full 24960599 13733455 0 15845 5972 47:11:40
      WLAN 54M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10235 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36 db 18 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 16 db

Not sure what would cause this to just start happening really?

Had a bit of a brainwave on this I think, I recently bought a wireless mouse that uses 2.4GHZ, I had a Logitech before and that seemed fine but my Logitech adapter doesn't work with my new mouse so I'm thinking it could be wireless interference that is causing my problems.

Sometimes the mouse does go a bit iffy, I am going to use the trackpad on my Laptop to rule this out and then if its the case I will have to get a new mouse as I use Channel 1 on my wifi as it is the least used channel around.
      Last edited by Carnagerover; 07-11-10 at 02:27 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I thought that I had fixed the website timing out problems by removing the wireless mouse that ran on 2.4ghz. However I have just been browsing Networkedmediatank.com and I kept getting the same timeouts as before.

When I press more information in chrome I get the following;

Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out.

If I refresh the page it loads instantly, now I am stumped as to what is causing
      the problem.

Here is a 100 packets from a ping test;

Ping statistics for 212.58.246.95:
      Packets: Sent = 117, Received = 117, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 110ms, Average = 29ms

Since I removed the mouse only Networkmediatank as done this but I would assume that it has to be me really and not them.

Here is a pingtest;

Is there any test that I can do myself that will show what the problem is?

Thanks

You could try using another browser, IE or Firefox. It is possibly a compatibility with Chrome that is causing the problem.

TomD

Useful Utilites

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Carnagerover (08-11-10)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast