Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Loss of sync

This is a discussion on Loss of sync within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, sorry to hijack the thread a little but I'm having a similar problem as the OP I'm in ...

Woodaaay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01173
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Loss of sync

Hi guys, sorry to hijack the thread a little but I'm having a similar problem as the OP

I'm in a block of flats (8) and newly on Sky Unlimited. I have 2 master sockets in the flat (Both with test sockets). I have no idea where the line actually enters the flat but I have the suspicion it's behind a wooden panel in the stairwell (big panel, not easy to take off without notice...) Whenever we use the phone, the downstream goes below 6.8 and loses sync.

The socket we use has only two wires in the back. The other socket has 2 sets of two wires in the back i.e same terminals just two of each wire (A,B terminals). From my understanding the line we are using is an extension of the line we are not using, is this correct? Also, if I take the faceplate of the one we aren't using, we can still use the other one... Not at all what I was expecting!

Anyway, here are the stats in the test plug of the socket we are acually using:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16382 kbps 976 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5db 17.2db
      Noise Margin 6.9db 7.4db

Normal socket stats:
      Noise Margin 7.2db 7.4db

Pick up the phone and leave on dial tone:
      Noise Margin 6.8db 101.7db

Once phone says to hang up:
      Noise Margin 6.6db 0.4db

Using only Sky supplied cable and filter.

Also, during DLM, the noise margin varied from as low as 2.2 to 7.5ish yet the speeds were capped to 16Mb/1Mb.

Without using the phone, the noise margin goes down to around 4 during the afternoon, anywhere between 3 and 5, and then jumps back up around 10, all without a loss of sync. Oh and BT quiet line test says there is very little noise on the line and its working correctly...

Any ideas as to what the problem is? I'll post stats from other socket after breakfast

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Phone calls disconnect Sky Broadband

Stats from Test socket in other room:

Connection Speed 15270 kbps 979 kbps
      Noise Margin 7.1db 7.6db

Stats from normal socket in other room:

Connection Speed 15210 kbps 972 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5db 17.1db
      Noise Margin 7.1db 7.6db

Dial Tone Stats:

Connection Speed 15210 kbps 972 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5db 17.1db
      Noise Margin 6.9db 102.2db

And then disconnects when dial tone ends.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Loss of sync

The socket we use has only two wires in the back. The other socket has 2 sets of two wires in the back i.e same terminals just two of each wire (A,B terminals). From my understanding the line we are using is an extension of the line we are not using, is this correct? Also, if I take the faceplate of the one we aren't using, we can still use the other one... Not at all what I was expecting!
      This is the master socket. The wires going to your extension are incorrectly connected to the AB terminals. They should be connected to the 2 and 5 terminals on the faceplate.

Your problem is probably due to poor quality filters, allowing noise from the phone to interfere with the ADSL signal. Correct your wiring and buy a good quality filter and your problems will be over. If you are using the master socket to connect the router, which you should be for best performance, fitting a filtered faceplate would be your best bet, - XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation If you cannot use this socket then one of these on each socket in use will probably solve your problem. - XF-1e - Professional Microfilter - adslnation.com

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Just to clarify Tom, the socket with the two sets of two wires is the MASTER Socket and should have the second set plugged into terminals 2 and 5 instead of A and B, correct?

Also, should the wires going into the Extension Socket be plugged into 2 and 5 also or are they ok where they are in A and B?

The Master socket is in the bedroom behind a wardrobe so I will buy the good quality filter you've suggested.

EDIT: I've just noticed you need a plug type thing on the ends of the wires if they are to go to terminals 2 and 5, is this going to be a problem? I think i can safely assume whoever wired it in the first place didnt have the tools to do this and therefore went for the lazy and incorrect option described above! Is this going to be a costly tool?

Cheers,

Brian.

Thanks

Just to clarify Tom, the socket with the two sets of two wires is the MASTER Socket and should have the second set plugged into terminals 2 and 5 instead of A and B, correct?
      That is correct.

Also, should the wires going into the Extension Socket be plugged into 2 and 5 also or are they ok where they are in A and B?
      They should be on a normal extension socket, but as you have an NTE5, just leave them where they are.

I've just noticed you need a plug type thing on the ends of the wires if they are to go to terminals 2 and 5
      I am not quite with you there. The normal terminals are IDC type where the wire is pushed between two metal pieces. There is a special tool for this but you can do it using the edge of a credit card, don't use a knife or screwdriver or you may damage the connectors.. You don't remove the insulation from the wire to do this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ah, my apologies, upon closer inspection (it's hard to see in the dark behind a wardrobe), they are in fact IDC connections (Two slightly different types on each socket though)

I might just get a 60p tool along with the filter. Will post again when everything discussed so far has been completed.

Many thanks,

Brian.

Thanks

Hi Tom,

I've just re-wired the lines and plugged in the filter. The problem sems to have been solved, thanks for your advice!

Here are my new stats incase you're interested:

Connection Speed 16382 kbps 1110 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5db 16.9db
      Noise Margin 7.3db 8.9db

Does this mean that I should actually be able to sync higher than 1110kbps Upstream?

Thanks

You may get a bit more, but it would not be much, only a few Ks. If I were you I would leave it as it is. Asking Sky to increase it could end up with them making a mess of your connection, it would not be the first time.

TomD

Useful Utilites

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Woodaaay (10-11-10)