Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Slow 0.3mb Internet?

This is a discussion on Slow 0.3mb Internet? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by User05 It depends who you get through to on the phone. You've just gotten through to someone ...

Flash! is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: London
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Slow 0.3mb Internet?

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      It depends who you get through to on the phone. You've just gotten through to someone who is script-happy, as one of the first things 'the script' suggests is to change filters.

To make sure you haven't been capped by DLM for a reason, if you can reply with the following:

How many telephone sockets do you use?
      Is the router plugged into the master or an extension socket?
      Are you running an extension cable to the router?
      Do you have Sky tv plugged into any telephone socket?
      Does every socket in use have a microfilter connected? If so, ensure the filter is the first thing plugged into the socket, with nothing before the filter. This includes any telephone sockets that Sky tv may be plugged into.
      1 Phone socket
      Plugged into extension socket
      Sky TV is not plugged into a Telephone socket
      The socket has a microfilter, and it's the first thing plugged into the socket.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Ok, DLM has probably capped you due to excessive errors building from the extension. Essentially, Sky CST can uncap you whilst you're in the extension, but it's more than likely going to unstable.

I'd suggest plugging the router into the test socket (link below) with just a filter and the short grey dsl cable Sky supplied and then call up 08442410515. Tell them that you're in the test socket with a different filter and no extension cables in use. A ticket will probably be raised to CST, but the issue there is they won't pick it up for around 72 hours. First line support aren't particularly meant to call through to CST if a ticket isn't 72 hours old without update, but if you get someone understanding, ask them if they can call through to CST and ask for the line to be uncapped. Should be done in a couple of minutes.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-master.html

Thanks

Ok, DLM has probably capped you due to excessive errors building from the extension. Essentially, Sky CST can uncap you whilst you're in the extension, but it's more than likely going to unstable.

I'd suggest plugging the router into the test socket (link below) with just a filter and the short grey dsl cable Sky supplied and then call up 08442410515. Tell them that you're in the test socket with a different filter and no extension cables in use. A ticket will probably be raised to CST, but the issue there is they won't pick it up for around 72 hours. First line support aren't particularly meant to call through to CST if a ticket isn't 72 hours old without update, but if you get someone understanding, ask them if they can call through to CST and ask for the line to be uncapped. Should be done in a couple of minutes.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket
      Just went to do that, turns out there is no test socket there. I've heard that can be the case, so how do I proceed from here?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Next best thing - plug the router into the master socket itself if there is no test socket behind the faceplate. Then call Sky on the number above and the line should be uncapped by the end of the call.

Thanks

Next best thing - plug the router into the master socket itself if there is no test socket behind the faceplate. Then call Sky on the number above and the line should be uncapped by the end of the call.
      I'm not a very technical guy and I think I've got mixed up somewhere- Here in simple terms:

The white box phone socket thing is plugged into the filter, which in turn is plugged into the wireless router. The extension I mentioned is just the power, where the two power plugs are plugged in. There is no test socket and I cannot directly plug the router into the phone socket-

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm not quite sure I understand the set-up. You only have the one telephone socket in the house?

It needs to be like the following:

master socket on the wall > microfilter > short grey dsl cable into the 'modem' port of the filter > adsl port on the router

The filter must be the first thing plugged into the telephone socket, with NOTHING before it. Your phone, of course, plugs into the 'phone' side of the filter.

Thanks

I'm not quite sure I understand the set-up. You only have the one telephone socket in the house?

It needs to be like the following:

master socket on the wall > microfilter > short grey dsl cable into the 'modem' port of the filter > adsl port on the router

The filter must be the first thing plugged into the telephone socket, with NOTHING before it. Your phone, of course, plugs into the 'phone' side of the filter.
      That's how it currently is

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I think Flash! is talking about electrical extension.

The extension I mentioned is just the power, where the two power plugs are plugged in

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      I think Flash! is talking about electrical extension
      Yes, that's right! lol Sorry for the misunderstanding, getting technical the last few days has kinda confused me!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Righto, I'm with you now. In that case, call up Sky and hopefully you'll get somewhere this time. If they suggest swapping filters again, or anything that essentially involved not uncapping you, then ask to be put through to someone who can do this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast