Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Suddenly Painfuly Slow!

This is a discussion on Suddenly Painfuly Slow! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm new here and first off I'm going to apologise for re-hashing a subject that seems to be a ...

Woolfy Smith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Houghton Le Spring
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Suddenly Painfuly Slow!

Hi, I'm new here and first off I'm going to apologise for re-hashing a subject that seems to be a regular thing on here.

I'm just hoping I can get some more specific advice. I've phoned the helpline and I'm just getting the run-around.

Up until about a fortnight ago I was getting 1.5meg at best but I could jut about live with that. Suddenly it dropped to next to nothing......see the stats I've posted. i understand that Connect isnt that best package but I should be abale to achieve 1 lousy meg.

I've tried plugging it into the master socket and get just the same stats. There's no extension and all the filters are still in place.

I'm so frustrated because I havent changed a thing at my end so it's obviously at the ISP's end! Plus the fact that it went up to 1.5meg for 1 day last week then dropped again so the speed is acheivable.

Hope someone can same me from the madness. Any more info please just ask and I'll do my best to prvide it. Cheers.[/SIZE]

Router Status
      Firmware Version

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 11584 13930 0 0 0 0:54:10
      LAN 485 0 0 0 0 1:41:23
      WLAN 28955 24253 0 0 0 1:40:55
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2496 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.0 db 16.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.8 db 15.0 db
      Last edited by Isitme; 31-10-10 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Concealing personal data

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Suddenly Painfuly Slow!

There is something sadly wrong with your connection, you should be getting the maximum sync speed of 8Mb. Can you plug into the Test socket, using nothing but the filter and cable supplied by Sky, and post you stats.

Please also check that there is no dial tone at any of your extensions when the faceplate is removed from the master socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi, thanks very much for the response.

Just done everything you suggested and this is how it's looking at the moment (as you can see from the speed test it's not great!):

Router Status
      Firmware Version 1.9

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 4114 4710 0 0 0 0:07:58
      LAN 21 0 0 0 0 0:10:34
      WLAN 6119 5257 0 0 0 0:10:07
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7488 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30.0 db 15.0 db
      Noise Margin 14.8 db 24.0 db
      Poll Interval: 10 (secs)

Hope you can help mate because this is driving me round the bend!
      Last edited by Isitme; 31-10-10 at 03:08 PM. Reason: concealing personal data

Thanks

That's more like it, you have been capped at 14 dbs or you would be showing the full 8Mb. This means that your internal wiring is interfering badly with your ADSL connection. Fitting and using a filtered faceplate will cure this and give you the best connection possible. XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

You will find that your speed will not improve immediately as your line Profile will be set low. This can take anything from a few hours to 3 days to get back up to full speed.

This will not help the throttling being used in peak times, but it will improve your general speed vastly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Very grateful for the help Isitme.

Going to order one of those Filtered Master Faceplates and get someone out to fit it asap.

Sorry to be a pest but just one more question: Should I get one for the upstairs too as that's where the router will be plugged in? (the master/test socket I got the last results from is downstairs but it's just not practical for the router to be plugged in there long term).

Thanks again for preventing me from going mental.

Thanks

Should I get one for the upstairs too as that's where the router will be plugged in? (the master/test socket I got the last results from is downstairs but it's just not practical for the router to be plugged in there long term).
      No that will not work. The router must be plugged into the faceplate on the master socket. That is the whole idea of it, it isolates all of your other wiring. If your machines are in a different location and you do not have the route for a cable, the best solution is a Homeplug network. Homeplug | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk These can often be picked up quite cheaply on eBay.- homeplug adapter items - Get great deals on Computing, Consumer Electronics items on eBay UK!

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Smile Re: Suddenly Painfuly Slow!

That sounds one step beyond my techncal capabilities so I'm going to take the cowards way out and move the router downstairs to the master socket and get one of those filtered faceplates. Hopefuly that should do the trick.

Thanks for all your help and wish me luck

Thanks

They are very simple to use. Just plug one in near the router and connect an ethernet cable from it to one of the router ports.Plug in another where your PC is situated and connect an ethernet cable from it to your PC and that is more or less it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

I've just convinced the mrs that the router would be better off sitting next to the master socket downstairs (goes with her trendy black wallpaper) so looks like we're sorted on that front.

So just to confirm, a filtered master faceplate, once fitted to the master socket and the router plugged directly into it, should get me back up the euphoric realms of at least 1 or 2 meg within a week?

Thanks

It should get you up near the maximum download speed for Connect which is 7.15Mbps which will give you an actual download rate of about 870 Kilobytes per second.

Just one point further, when you are fixed up with the router in a permanent position, either plugged temporary into the test socket or the filtered faceplate, resync your router at least once a day until your speed is up where it should be. It is better doing this by pulling the power plug for a minute rather than a soft reboot.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast