Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Suddenly Painfuly Slow!

This is a discussion on Suddenly Painfuly Slow! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just tried what you suggested and got the same results in safe mode. It's a fairly new laptop so there ...

Woolfy Smith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Houghton Le Spring
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Suddenly Painfuly Slow!

Just tried what you suggested and got the same results in safe mode. It's a fairly new laptop so there shouldn't be any software probs to speak of.

I hate to say this but it is looking very like you suggested, a faulty faceplate. I was dreading that as I've foolishly thrown out all the packaging that came with it! Schoolboy error.

Can you think of any other course of action I can take before I have to look at a new faceplate? Would resetting the router help in any way?

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Hi again. Just as a last resort tried restarting the router and putting laptop into safe mode with networking and now getting this via SkyUser speed test:

We have detected that your ISP is Sky. Your download speed is 7896Kbps. Your upload speed is 906Kbps.

Wierdly though when I revert to normal on the laptop I'm straight back to the poor speeds. Looks like I may have to eat my words regrding software problems!!

If this makes sense when I try the speed test in normal mode the pointer on the dial shoots back an forth whereas in safe mode it's more or less a constant 7896Kbps.

Also I have a wee speed test app on my phone and that confirms the speed of 7896Kbps and 906Kbps.

Any idea why this is occuring in normal mode or what software could be causing the problem?

Hope you can help. Cheers.
      Last edited by Woolfy Smith; 19-11-10 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Extra Info

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

We have detected that your ISP is Sky. Your download speed is 7896Kbps. Your upload speed is 906Kbps.
      That is more like what you could expect with your sync speed. This can be caused by your AV or firewall, or possibly a trojan. The first thing to check is that you are not running 2 firewalls, this is the most common mistake user make. If you have a security suite that includes a firewall, disable the Windows one. Have a look at your AV suite and see if there is any extra online protection running.

You could also download and run Malwarebytes. This will scan for, discover and remove most trojans. Back this up by running Superantispyware, which sometimes finds things that MWB misses.
      Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
      SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Make sure you allow both programs to update themselves before you run them.

I would say if you do find you have picked up a trojan, replace your security asap, it is obviously not doing its job.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for that Tom. Funny you should mention Malwarebytes because I have been running that in the background for a few months now and just last night stumbled upon this forum Windows 7 bandwidth throttling - Windows 7 Forums (post #7) that suggests that Malwarebytes somehow throttles internet bandwidth if running in the background.

I un-installed it alogether this morning and I'm getting 7896Kbps and 906Kbps even when not in safe mode. All I can assume is that it must have been Malwarebytes running in the background that's caused the problem.

I've downloaded superantispyware and intend to run a scan with that at regular intervals.

So do you think I'm squeezing the absolute max out of what is available to me speed-wise now? I know that 12 or so meg was mentioned earlier in the thread or is that just being a bit greedy at this point?

Thanks again Tom.
      Last edited by Woolfy Smith; 20-11-10 at 02:46 PM. Reason: More Info

Thanks

What like are your stats plugged straight into the Test socket?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

This is what it looks like from the test socket via Belkin RJ11 and Ethernet from router to laptop:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9212 kbps 1110 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.0 db 16.7 db
      Noise Margin 8.4 db 8.6 db

SkyUser Speed Test:

Your download speed is 7792Kbps. Your upload speed is 927Kbps.

What are your thoughts?
      Last edited by Woolfy Smith; 20-11-10 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks

That looks like it is as good as it gets, there may be scope for a few more Ks, but you are probably better off as you are, as long as it is stable. It is disappointing you can't get back up to the 13Mb you synced at previously, but if there is no noise on your line, there is not much Sky will do about it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Woolfy Smith (21-11-10)

Thanks

Aye it's a bit annoying about that 13Mb sync speed, but I suppose I should be thankful for what I now have considering how bad it was a month or ago!

In your experience is it at all worth contacting Sky an sweet-talking them into performing DLM again as it may have been at the start of the last DLM when I was getting the 13Mb reading.

Or even just saying to them that I know the line is capable of those speeds and see what they can do?

This thread should now be titled 'Speed Greed'

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Running DLM again could make it worse, if you really want it then you would be much better trying to get to CST and having them manually configure the line while you are talking to them, that way you can get the information re speed and errors and may be able to understand a little more about any issues they are having.

Thanks

Thanks Smithy99. Think I'll give that a go. I'm acutely aware that I'm being a wee bit speed greedy but the most I've ever had at my 3 previous addresses is 1-2Mb at best so I think I'm entitled to be a bit over-enthusiastic

Do you have any inside tips re the bet things to say when I contact Sky?

Thanks very much again.
      Last edited by Woolfy Smith; 21-11-10 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast