Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Suddenly Painfuly Slow!

This is a discussion on Suddenly Painfuly Slow! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were getting "Connection Speed 13308 kbps 945 kbps" out of the faceplate which ...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Suddenly Painfuly Slow!

I'm sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were getting "Connection Speed 13308 kbps 945 kbps" out of the faceplate which you got from the Test socket in post 64. If you are only getting 10Mb, something has gone wrong. Are you now only getting 10Mb from the Test socket? If so what is the downstream noise margin?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Woolfy Smith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Houghton Le Spring
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sorry I think it's my fault because I'm not fully up on all the lingo yet.

This is what I'm getting right now from the XTE (Blue wire with white striped in 2 and white wire with blue stripes in 5)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10238 kbps 945 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.0 db 16.7 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 15.3 db

This is what I'm getting from the test socket behind the faceplate using a standard Sky supplied filter:

Connection Speed 10238 kbps 945 kbps
      Noise Margin 7.8 db 16.2 db

Hope you can make a diagnosis based on this info. If you need anything else please just give me a shout.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Woolfy Smith
      Hi as you can see Speedtest.Net does not give an accurate speed. The first test is a router stats test http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-routerstats.html The second test is a http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-master.html test.
      Now that looks a lot better you still have 7 days left with DLM Some leave the connection to the test socket behind the faceplate (Master Socket) using a standard Sky supplied filter till DLM is finished. To see if they can get any more connection speed.

Thanks

I am still puzzled by the drop in speed you are getting in the Test socket, compared to your previous result. Are you using the same filter?

Regards your throughput, I would assume you are using wireless. You should connect by ethernet to get a baseline speed. You would also be better using the Skyuser tester, it is much less used than speedtest.net which has been proved to be not very reliable.
      Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester

You would probably be better leaving things as they are until DLM is complete. Resyncing too often can badly effect the result.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I'm quite concerned about the drop in speed as well. In post 64 (I think) is was getting 13308 kbps. I really can't explain this as I'm doing everything exactly the same and using the same filter.

I don't thing all of my tinkering will be helping matters so as you suggest I may be better leaving it for now until after DLM is complete then possibly contacting Sky to see if they can run it again.

I'm currently plugged into the test socket via the Sky supplied filter, should I just leave that as it is until DLM complete?

Regarding the Ethernet connection do you mean to connect that way just throughout DLM or on a permanent basis?

I'll carry out a test with the speed tester you've kindly provided as soon as I get in from work and post the results.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
      Last edited by Woolfy Smith; 14-11-10 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Typos

Thanks

Regarding the Ethernet connection do you mean to connect that way just throughout DLM or on a permanent basis?
      Just to establish what speed you can get. You will not normally get the same speed by wireless as you can by ethernet, but your speed seems very low. It does not matter what you use during DLM, that works on the modem part of the router.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Hi again. Just to let you guys know that DLM was completed yesterday, this if from My Sky page:

Your connection detailsLine connection testing completed on 18/11/2010

Download SpeedYour connection has been set to a download speed of up to
      9.0Mb (9216Kb)

Upload SpeedYour connection has been set to an upload speed of up to
      1.0Mb (1024Kb)

Does this tally up with my router stats? These are from the test socketand using and eternet cable from router to laptop:

Connection Speed 9211 kbps 1113 kbps
      Noise Margin 8.1 db 9.0 db

This is what I'm getting from the SkyUser speed test as well if it helps:

We have detected that your ISP is Sky. Your download speed is 3656Kbps. Your upload speed is 876Kbps.

Do you reckon this is the most I can squeeze out of what I have? I hesitate to say I'm a bit dissappointed after how shocking my stats were to start with but I was hoping for a wee bit more.

Cheers again for the help. Very much appreciated.

Thanks

We have detected that your ISP is Sky. Your download speed is 3656Kbps. Your upload speed is 876Kbps.
      That is poor. Are you using wireless. If so do one with ethernet for comparison.

Your sync speed is also a bit low, try plugging into the Test socket again. I am beginning to think your faceplate is faulty.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Yeah I had a feeling I could get better.

Those last results were from the test socket using ethernet cable from router to laptop. Just done the tests again to make sure and got exactly the same resluts.

The router did disconnect twice during DLM because of a power cut, do you think that could have caused a problem? Is it worth calling sky again and asking them to run DLM again?

Just to make sure I have my wiring right. On the XTE I've got Blue wire with white stripes in 2 and White wire with Blue stripes in 5.

Thanks

As long as you are plugged in to the ADSL port of the faceplate, it does not matter what is connected where, as long as your extensions are working.

DLM might effect your sync speed but it would not effect your throughput in relation to the sync speed. With your present sync, you should be getting 7.8-8 Mb minimum. Just to rule out the software on your PC, boot into Safe Mode with Networking and see what kind of speed you get.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast