Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

HELP ! Problems with speed random disconnects and random crackly phone line

This is a discussion on HELP ! Problems with speed random disconnects and random crackly phone line within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all first post been a reader for a long time but never posted. Its a long story but I ...

CraigsH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morecambe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

HELP ! Problems with speed random disconnects and random crackly phone line

Hi all first post been a reader for a long time but never posted.

Its a long story but I will make it short.

Ever sine Sky upgraded my exchange from 16mb to 20mb I can no longer get any where near my syncs that I use to get. When it was 16mb I use to sync at over 15000 but wver since they upgraded the exchange I can no longer get above 10000.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10235 kbps 604 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.5 db 10.4 db
      Noise Margin 8.4 db 16.1 db

I think these are pretty decent and I am sure i should be getting more than I am but every time I phone CS with a problem with the crackling phone line or the random disconnects it will just resolve the problem itself. They say my phone line cant handle anymore speed and that I couldnt possibly have been syncing faster than I am now when I was on the old equipment. My noise margin does seem higher than it has ever been as it always use to stay at around 7db.

I have tried it in the test socket and it does no better at all. I have had openreach out tested the line and it was fine but 1 hour after he left the line was crackling again.

I have no idea what to do as everytime I get the problem by the time CS have gone through all the stupid tests the problem has gone..............

Its probably been going on for over a year and I just live with it but I am sure there must be a problem somewhere inbetween my house and the exchange.

Any advcie would be appreciated.

Thanks,
      Craig.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: HELP ! Problems with speed random disconnects and random crackly phone line

Call your phone provider and get the crackling phone fixed. That will probably resolve your problem. Make sure the phone is noisy in your Test socket and try another phone. If you ask for an engineer and the problem is in your wiring or equipment, you will possibly be charged.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi all again its nearly 2 years later and the problem still has not gone.

I now have just my router and phone plugged into the test socket with a brand new micro filter which sky sent me. Problems are still there.

I was on DLM at the start of august and they had set my sync speed at 7mb awesome speed when Im pretty sure I should be getting near 20mb.

I have been running router stats lite for the last month and I can see that the noise margin goes crazy from time to time and when it does I can here the crackling on the phone.

I am now sync'd at just under 14mb but quite a few disconnects.

With my line attenuation and the noise marging I am even more positive I should be getting nearer to 20mb but there has to be a problem between me and the exchage.

Was on phoine to CS last night and no help again as I am now back on DLM so cant reallly do anything

Heres my stats

Connection Speed 13844 kbps 767 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.5 db 10.4 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 14.1db

My noise margin is fluctuating from about 7.3db - 8 db

Any ideas folks ??

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If the line is crackling then it is either the socket or line at fault. You can't do anything about the line but you can replace the socket and see if that helps. is the current one an NTE5? Screw terminal or IDC?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

CraigsH (17-09-11)

Thanks

I changed it along time ago for a NTE5 / IDC

Like I say all the problems I've had is from when they changed the service from 16mb to 20mb, nothing has been the same since.

From my router stats am I right in thinking I should be hitting pretty much 20mb ??

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

From my router stats am I right in thinking I should be hitting pretty much 20mb ??
      Only from your attenuation. The low noise margin indicates you are getting about as much as you can. Until you get the line problem fixed you are not going to get any more.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

CraigsH (17-09-11)

Thanks

Quick update, been on to CS again asked to be escalated to tier 2.

I looked at my connection stats in mysky and im limited to 14mb / 1mb and I am hitting that now but still got random crackly line and drop outs. I never seem to hit my up stream limits tho ?

Connection Speed 14053 kbps 767 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.5 db 10.3 db
      Noise Margin 8.3 db 15.9 db

I think there is plenty of room for improvement, just gotta get to the root of the noise on the line.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Could you plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket and dial '1' please? Listen carefully for any more crackling.

If there is, then call your line provider again to get it chased.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

CraigsH (17-09-11)

Thanks

Well there has been no crackling at all since I got off the phone to CS this morning, typical.

I got a corded phone from argos so I will try that as soon as my SNR srats going crazy again.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

You must have through to Murphy. I'm sure you know what his laws are like .
      CraigsH likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast