Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

HELP ! Problems with speed random disconnects and random crackly phone line

This is a discussion on HELP ! Problems with speed random disconnects and random crackly phone line within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well there has been no crackling or noise on the line for the last 2 days the SNR has been ...

CraigsH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morecambe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: HELP ! Problems with speed random disconnects and random crackly phone line

Well there has been no crackling or noise on the line for the last 2 days the SNR has been at a solid 8.0 - 8.4 no wild fluctuations at all ?!?!?!?

Tier 2 called back today and obviously with there being nothing wrong with the line he said he has set my limit to 20m/b but I am still only getting just under 15m/b. I think he is telling me porkies and the line is just set to 15m/b but how can I prove it ? My upstream has gone up to 1m/b which it has not been at for a long long time.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14913 kbps 1061 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.5 db 10.3 db
      Noise Margin 8.0 db 7.5 db

Surely I am able to get more. He also said the target SNR is set to 7 so why am I still getting over 8 ??

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Ok so been back and forwards a few more times and got no where lol.

Do sky control your SNR from their equipment in the exchange ??

I have now set my SNR manually and my stats are more like what I expect all be it my SNR is way too low for SKY's standard 7db ??

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16950 kbps 1065 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.5 db 10.5 db
      Noise Margin 4.1 db 7.5 db

I have no idea but its rock solid with these settings so I will have to see how it goes.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

If your line remains stable, then DLM is unlikely to step in and change anything.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

CraigsH (21-09-11)

Thanks

Another quick update for you all.

Well the line still kept on crackling/disconnecting so over the last month Ive really got on SKY's ass to sort the problem out. They sent yet another new router but the problem still showed its ugly head.

They really really did not want to get an engineer out but finally yesterday a engineer came out and checked the phone line from my house back to the exchange.

Turns out that the cable I was on, the 5 pairs below mine where disconnected due to noise on the line from the green box back to the exchange.

The engineer put me on a completely different pair on a newer solid copper pair wire cable back to the exchange. The one I was on was only copper coated.

So far so good no noise no fluctuations and no disconnects after 24 hours but time will tell.

However stats do not lie !!!!!!!!!

Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 1146 Kbps, Downstream rate = 18676 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.1 7.9
      Attn(dB): 20.5 13.8
      Pwr(dBm): 18.6 12.2
      Max(Kbps): 21844 1176
      Rate (Kbps): 18676 1146

I knew I should be capable of higher speed and they just would not have it stupid stupid CS staff at SKY dont understand how to interperate line .stats

All it takes is about 5 years of problems and about 50 hours on the phone to CS and you can get your broadband to work how its suppose to.

Thats all folks thanks for reading

Happy sky customer again.................................. FINALLY !!!!

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CraigsH View Post
      I knew I should be capable of higher speed and they just would not have it stupid stupid CS staff at SKY dont understand how to interperate line .stats
      Calling all Sky support 'stupid' is 'stupid', in itself. Sounds to me like the relevant procedure has been done here. Sucks it took so long, but with an intermittent crackling, it's never going to be the easiest fault to find.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Calling all Sky support 'stupid' is 'stupid', in itself. Sounds to me like the relevant procedure has been done here. Sucks it took so long, but with an intermittent crackling, it's never going to be the easiest fault to find.
      If you had spoken to as many sky cs as me you would say they were stupid infact I think stupid is a compliment, there are much worse things I could of called them.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CraigsH View Post
      If you had spoken to as many sky cs as me you would say they were stupid infact I think stupid is a compliment, there are much worse things I could of called them.
      I deal with many advisors within Sky and, yes, some do not have a clue, but there are a lot who know what they're doing. So, the advisors YOU talked to, in your opinion, were 'stupid', NOT all of Sky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12