Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How best to improve wireless coverage.

This is a discussion on How best to improve wireless coverage. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I've just moved over to Sky TV / Broadband / Line rental and so far the service has ...

sanderr2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Teddington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

How best to improve wireless coverage.

Hi all,
      I've just moved over to Sky TV / Broadband / Line rental and so far the service has been brilliant with just one exception - the wireless performance of the Sky D-link ADSL modem / router that came with the package.
      I live in a large old house but my second Mac on the same floor is struggling to connect and it must only be 15m or so away. I also have a Sonos wireless music system through the house, wireless printer and 3 Sony wireless internet ready TVs across the 3 floors of the house so I really need Wireless-N levels of performance.

I was wondering if someone could advise me on the best way to go? Looking through various threads it seems as though replacing the Sky router with a Wireless-N capable ADSL modem / router is problematic because of difficulties getting various admin information from Sky. Incidentally my download speed is not a multiple of 32Kbps so presumably I am on ADS2+ and would need a compatible modem/router.

The second option which seems a bit messy is to connect a wireless N router to the Sky D-Link box using an Ethernet cable and disabling DHCP on the Sky router (is there a guide anywhere to doing the disabling?).

I don't really want to go down the "powerline" route as I really need decent wireless coverage throughout the house - not just in a second or third location.

I'd really appreciate any advice on the best way forward and how to achieve the desired result.

Thanks in anticipation,
      Rob

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: How best to improve wireless coverage.

Best is ditching wireless altogether and going for a wired route, be it directly with Ethernet or Homeplugs. Otherwise it'd ve replacing the Sky router with an N-class one. Personally, I'd network the house and be done with it - hate wireless unless in the same room as the router
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Did your previous router give you sufficient coverage? If so it is fairly easy to piggy back it on to the Sky router.

All N standard routers can handle ADSL2+, so you have nothing to worry about there. If you have a large old house, you may find that even an N standard router will will not cover it all. You may also need range extenders. Homeplugs are also available with wireless, so using them does not restrict you to ethernet and they will give a more stable performance than a pure wireless solution.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

I've got to agree with Iwasnottheenemy. For the best possible speeds and the least amount of problems, you cannot beat using a wiried solution.

The cheapest solution is to purchase Ethernet cables to your required length. I purchased a 10 metre Belkin Ethernet cable from Amazon, there are other lengths available though.

Here's a few links where you can purchase long length Ethernet cables/RJ45 cables.

Amazon.co.uk: ethernet cable

DSL SHOP :: Excellence In Broadband

RJ45 | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk

Cables and Leads, Scart Leads, hdmi cables, VGA, USB, Ethernet Network

walkertelecoms is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Halfway Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Be
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

See if you can get a local data/voice man to do the job right, if you're looking at running CAT5e it's not like running telephone cable.
      For neatness have your line/lines wired into proper Cat5e face-plates, then fly-leads from there.