Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Falling Speed

This is a discussion on Falling Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Same here! I've just come on here to post about the same thing. A few month a go I was ...

vandinz Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Falling Speed

Same here!

I've just come on here to post about the same thing. A few month a go I was getting 11-13 meg speeds on speedtest.net. Last week that dropped to just under 9. Today it's just under 7. Anyone know why? Has something changed I don't know about? The only think that's happened here is that I've gone over to Sky talk from BT phone service. I've started to think BT are buggering up my line in revenge for me leaving.

Any help appreciated.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6969 kbps 1054 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.5 db 20.4 db
      Noise Margin 13.7 db 8.1 db

2. Advertisement
      vandinz Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Somethings changed download speed below 8 meg

OK, I just unplugged my phone and BB extension from the main socket, reconnected them and check the speeds again. This time it came on at just over 9meg! No i dea why, nothing changed apart from me doing as I mentioned. Any idea why this may happen? I'll keep an eye on it to see if it drops again. Still not what I had originally but higher than I had this morning.

Cheers.

These are now my stats

Connection Speed 9974 kbps 1106 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.5 db 20.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 8.3 db

EDIT!

OK This time I reset the router through the router itself, performing a soft reboot. The stats are as below, this time just over 10meg. What's going on? Why would this happen? Is it just a case of bad luck and it not syncing at a decent speed sometimes or could there be a reason for the fluctuations in speeds? It's confusing. I notice everytime to speed goes up the noise margin comes down. Bad line? Bad weather?

Connection Speed 10226 kbps 1111 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.5 db 19.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 8.4 db
      Last edited by vandinz; 23-10-10 at 08:53 PM.

vandinz Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Somethings changed download speed below 8 meg

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The highlighted figures show that there is possibly a fault on your line or that it has been rerouted to the exchange by a longer route. There is nothing much wrong with your figures apart from this.
      Any idea what mine should be? I'm totally green with all this. Should I call Sky and/or BT to get them to look at it? If so,. what should I mention is wrong and how could they fix it?

Thanks for your reply.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Falling Speed

What are your stats like in the Test socket with only the filter and cable supplied by Sky connected? Please post them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

vandinz Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

My set up is wired to the other side of the room. I was one of the first to get BB here and BT fitted an extention from the socket to where I am on the other side of the room (the socket is in the room over the other side). So it's hard for me to plug directly into the socket. However would it be worth plugging the cable that's there straight into the test socket? I'm 99.9% sure the cable from my PC to the socket it fine. I'll do that now just incase you say that's OK. If not, I'll have to start dragging the PC about which will take a while and a lot of moaning from her indoors

Thanks again.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When broadband was first introduced it did not use ADSL2+ which is a lot less tolerant of faults than fixed 512kb or 2Mb, or even 8Mb broadband. You may find your extension is causing a drop in your possible speed. Using a long extension to connect to the Test socket is usually a waste of time as it itself may cause interference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.