Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tier 3 Rep Max delay no help!!

This is a discussion on Tier 3 Rep Max delay no help!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hiya lads i posted earlier about having poor ping when gaming, however this has become a more general issue. after ...

Quantum1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headingley (MYHEA)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exclamation Tier 3 Rep Max delay no help!!

Hiya lads

i posted earlier about having poor ping when gaming, however this has become a more general issue. after recieving advice from here to call the CST and ask for a gaming profile the 1st representative lowerd my max delay to 8. i couldnt really tell any significant difference. i called back an hour later and asked to confirm what had been done. The guy i spoke to said my line didnt support the gamer profile and that that my max delay was now at default again as leaving it on 8 would cause a build up of problems over my line resulting in 'catastrophic failure'?????? now im no tech wizz but iv never heard of a line doing that before. hes gunna call me back sunday at 8pm to see if im still having high ping. He added that my only solution to this problem would be when sky upgrade my local exchange to optic cabling in the future...

Any advice would be great thanks

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Tier 3 Rep Max delay no help!!

Wow. You were fed a lot of nonsense. Post up your stats so we can advise from there:

How to get your router statistics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Wow. You were fed a lot of nonsense. Post up your stats so we can advise from there:

How to get your router statistics
      Like i said im no tech wizz but it doesnt take a genius to work out something not quite there

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 49775 60961 0 2138 26972 00:45:06
      LAN 10011262 9431111 0 3388 2222 176:03:03
      WLAN 1943905 1135396 0 796249 55063 00:44:57
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7071 kbps 669 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.5db 21.8db
      Noise Margin 6.9db 6.5db

Exchange:
      Thanks

Your stats look ok - upstream config a little messed, but your line should handle a 'gamer profile' just fine. If I remember correctly, there's a 'gamer profile' that is 10240 down / 608 up with max delays at 8ms. If the person is that worried that a few errors are going to blow up the whole exchange ( ) then setting target SNRs at 9db/9db should leave it stable.

I suggest calling up and not mentioning about gamer profiles. Just call and suggest your ping times are higher than you expect, and you'd like someone to set your delays at 8ms. Hopefully you'll get someone with access and/or understands.

P.S. I should mention that if your line has been active for 10+ days, then you would have went through DLM which sets max delays at 8ms anyway. I'd suggest opening command prompt (start > all programs > accessories > command prompt) and type 'ping bbc.co.uk' without the quotations and then return. Check the average roundtrip time (the last bit of information that is returned) and post back with what the result was.

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Tier 3 Rep Max delay no help!!

Your stats look ok - upstream config a little messed, but your line should handle a 'gamer profile' just fine. If I remember correctly, there's a 'gamer profile' that is 10240 down / 608 up with max delays at 8ms. If the person is that worried that a few errors are going to blow up the whole exchange ( ) then setting target SNRs at 9db/9db should leave it stable.

I suggest calling up and not mentioning about gamer profiles. Just call and suggest your ping times are higher than you expect, and you'd like someone to set your delays at 8ms. Hopefully you'll get someone with access and/or understands.
      Thanks its about time i spoke to someone with a little knowledge, its pot luck landing on someone who does know what they are talking about on the CST. is there any chance you could explain the target snr's to me just in case they dont know what im talking about? would you suggest me ringing in the morning rather than waiting for the same guy who's english is questionable?

Thanks Again mate

Exchange:
      Thanks

I don't think you've been through to CST (customer solutions team) - they're a tier 2 team, all of whom would be trained on delays and have access to change them. Setting the target SNRs would basically mean that the line would be forced to train in at 9db instead of 7db, sacrificing a bit of speed for stability purposes.

Hopefully when you call back you'll get someone who is a little more knowledgeable than the previous dudes you've talked to. I wouldn't confuse the matter, though, by mentioning target SNRs and such. Just say you have high ping times and would like to have your max delays set at 8ms. If the agent can't do it, then ask to be transferred to someone who can.

As I mentioned, you'd be best pinging bbc via command prompt and replying with your results for reference. At least then you can see if there is any improvement after the delays have been lowered.

Thanks

I don't think you've been through to CST (customer solutions team) - they're a tier 2 team, all of whom would be trained on delays and have access to change them. Setting the target SNRs would basically mean that the line would be forced to train in at 9db instead of 7db, sacrificing a bit of speed for stability purposes.

Hopefully when you call back you'll get someone who is a little more knowledgeable than the previous dudes you've talked to. I wouldn't confuse the matter, though, by mentioning target SNRs and such. Just say you have high ping times and would like to have your max delays set at 8ms. If the agent can't do it, then ask to be transferred to someone who can.

As I mentioned, you'd be best pinging bbc via command prompt and replying with your results for reference. At least then you can see if there is any improvement after the delays have been lowered.
      im just trying to ping it now but the command prompt disapears afetr like a second for some reason...i cant read the results fast enough

Exchange:
      Thanks

Are you administrator on the system? Try start > all programs > accessories > right click command prompt and click 'run as administrator' and then type:

ping bbc.co.uk

Return the above and reply with just the roundtrip time in milliseconds.

Thanks

ok sorted i got:

Minimum=41ms
      Max=44ms
      Average= 42ms

Thats about 10ms lower than i get on that pingtest.com, though thats just an estimation right?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Your ping isn't exactly terrible - you may find the delays are already at 8ms. Did you do that ping via wireless? Do you game wirelessly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast