Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Connect New User 250kbit speeds

This is a discussion on Sky Connect New User 250kbit speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Okay, will try to keep this concise (Edit: apologies, have ended up writing war and peace). From reading the other ...

etherz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Poplar
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Connect New User 250kbit speeds

Okay, will try to keep this concise (Edit: apologies, have ended up writing war and peace). From reading the other threads on here it seems better to start your own that hijack another, but feel free to move my post. First time sky user, and first time Sky subscriber.

Ordered Sky on 16/09/2010
      Package Included:
      Sky World
      Sky Sports
      Shy HD
      Sky Talk (Phone Line)
      Sky Connect (more on that later)

Sky TV installed 24/09/2010. All fine except wired my amplifier up incorrectly (plugged the sound input into a pre-out for speakers) so no sound until I sorted it (might be out of scope for the install, no biggie). Only one coax input so not able to record TV shows whilst watching another/forget to leave on recording channel), I half blame the apartment for only having one sky input in the wall, half blame sky for not fitting one of those stacker/destacker boxes.

Sky Talk activated 04/10/2010
      No issues

Sky Connect activated 19/10/2010 (over a month after ordering )
      So, before ordering my internet from Sky, I checked on samknows which states my exchange has been activated for Sky LLU. By the time I get through to finalising my order I get told that I can only receive Sky Connect this month, but I will be upgraded to LLU next month. I thought a month is not too long to have a 40gb cap, so I signed up. Since signing up I have had no correspondence to let me know when LLU will be enabled.

The real point of this thread is the speed:

The speed is consistently this bad. I done periodic tests over the past 3 days since my line was activated, at different times of day.

Just left ping -t Google running for a while and this is the result:
      Ping statistics for 173.194.37.104:
      Packets: Sent = 2447, Received = 2350, Lost = 197 (6% loss),
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      Minimum = 62ms, Maximum = 3629ms, Average = 182ms

Pinging the router, ping -t 192.168.0.1 gives me <1ms pings with no packet loss.

ADSL Stats
      ==========

xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Retrain Reason: 1
      Max: Upstream rate = 1132 Kbps, Downstream rate = 9792 Kbps
      Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8128 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      TPS-TC: ATM Mode
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 9.1 22.0
      Attn(dB): 35.0 20.0
      Pwr(dBm): 20.1 12.3
      G.dmt framing
      K: 255(0) 15
      R: 20 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 4
      Counters
      SF: 7418659 7418813
      SFErr: 46 2
      RS: 1513406331 63058508
      RSCorr: 83937 26
      RSUnCorr: 734 0

HEC: 504 2
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 2417642560 0
      Data Cells: 7732650 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 1229 0
      SES: 854 0
      UAS: 19 19
      AS: 126120

INP: 2.32 1.88
      PER: 1.75 1.75
      delay: 16.00 8.00
      OR: 32.00 32.00

Bitswap: 113 0

Total time = 1 days 12 hours 52 min 12 sec
      FEC: 83937 0
      CRC: 46 0
      ES: 1229 0
      LOS: 1 0
      LOF: 8 0
      Latest 15 minutes time = 7 min 12 sec
      FEC: 405 0
      CRC: 0 0
      ES: 0 0
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 0 0
      LOS: 0 0
      LOF: 0 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      FEC: 622 0
      CRC: 0 0
      ES: 0 0
      Latest 1 day time = 12 hours 52 min 12 sec
      FEC: 35002 0
      CRC: 21 0
      ES: 12 0
      Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      FEC: 48935 0
      CRC: 25 0
      ES: 1217 0
      LOS: 1 0
      LOF: 8 0
      Since Link time = 1 days 11 hours 1 min 59 sec
      FEC: 83937 26
      CRC: 46 2
      ES: 29 0
      xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Retrain Reason: 1
      Max: Upstream rate = 1132 Kbps, Downstream rate = 9792 Kbps
      Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8128 Kbps

ChipSet Vendor Id: TSTC:0x0000
      ChipSet VersionNumber: 0x0000
      ChipSet SerialNumber:

I have tried using a variety of PCs/Laptops and Ethernet/Wifi, still the same problems. I have also tried using the master socket. I have a Cisco Business router here that I could setup, but I should not have to invalidate the terms of service to get a stable connection.

Have phoned Sky tonight to try and resolve this problem. Spoke to the guy who picks up the phone, and then 2 levels of technical support. Technical support got me to run netstat and asked me how many connections were open. The second level support advisor said that the problem was with the number of connections open on my computer (around 12, mostly to devices on my own network).

Now, I try to be patient speaking to technical support, but I have a degree in computer science, and eventually had to just say "sorry can I speak to your manager, you are giving me incorrect information". I was told the 3rd level technical support manager would be calling me back at 20:30 tonight, but he has not.

So my questions for you skyuser forum are:
      Can you help me troubleshoot my connection from the information above?
      Do you need any more information?
      Does anyone have any contacts at sky (customer services, technical support, management) that I can contact and will help/listen?
      Should I be looking to claim back compensation and money already paid? I am paying them over 70 p/m !

I am coming from bethere who have knowledgeable customer support, and they have always managed to sort out issues within 24 hours when I have escalated them. Not to mention the 15mbit speeds :-(

2. Advertisement
      Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect New User 250kbit speeds

I'm not sure who you were speaking to, but there are only 2 tiers of BB tech support, and currently we are not allowed to transfer to CST (tier 2) unless you have an open tech ticket which has recieved no callback after 72 hours.

If you have more than 10 open network connections on your pc, it will eat your bandwidth and slow your connection, simple as that.

They weren't giving you incorrect information, they were giving you information based on troubleshooting steps we are obliged to follow.

If you have completed troubleshooting and have had the issue escalated and been given a ticket reference number, you will recive a callback within the next 72 hours from the customer solutions team. If I'm not mistaken its predominantly a call centre in Shepton Mallet who largely deal with Connect. If not you will need to call back and they will be able to transfer you through.

The basics, which you should have been taken through, are simply make sure you are directly in your master socket via a microfilter and have all other used sockets filtered (unless you have a pre filtered faceplate) Change the microfilter. If there is no improvement connect to your test socket, which is where you will need to be for line testing.

With respect, whilst you may have a degree in computer science, it doesn't exactly do you any favours trying to make the person at the other end of the line appear stupid. We are trained to troubleshoot broadband connections, and the majority of us do so to the best of our ability. Connect is not a good package, and that, unfortunately, is a fact, and not the fault of anyone at Sky you may speak to over the phone.

I'm struggling to find the actual downstream and upstream speeds in your lengthy list of stats. Could you post them from both the master and the test socket?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanity For This Useful Post:

etherz (22-10-10)

Thanks

Hi Sanity, thanks for getting back to me.

I spoke to three people on the phone today, so maybe they just fobbed me off around the same team I don't know. I was not given a ticket number, but was asked when I would like to be called back, and I stated 20:30. No no one has called me tonight.

With regards to what we went through on the phone, the lady asked me to read out the Upstream rate (448 Kbps) and Downstream rate (8128 Kbps) from the router maintainance page. I then told her I had done a speed test, and gave her ping times and results. She then asked me to execute netstat.

I realise the person on the end of the phone is only the messenger here, it is not their fault personally the technical product is not working, and I played along for a while. I didnt want to sound like a smart ass but when we were not getting anywhere and I was being told factually incorrect information I had to be honest, and asked to escalate the issue.

All of the tests in my first post were made using the test socket, master socket and an extension socket. All of the results were so similar I have not posted separate results for each.

10 network connections is b******* and I am sorry you have to read that out to customers on the phone every day. FWIW I have tried a second desktop this evening that did not have any connections open before I started doing a speedtest and surprise surprise that did not work either.

Data tethering from my mobile works fine to my desktop that had "too many connections open" and goes at about 10x the speed of my broadband connection

So thanks for your comments, will make sure to get a ticket number when I ring up tomorrow evening.

Do you have a direct contact nubmer for level 2 support?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

There's no direct number to CST. There's a backlog on cases/tickets, so typically the only calls coming to CST are Openreach co-op/engineer calls. You should get a call-back within 72 hours if a case/ticket has been escalated.

The stats are spot on - barely any errors for the uptime. You'll go through BT's DLM for the first 10 days, but whether or not that has any bearing to the issue is another question.

CST will likely have you run a BT speed test, so you'd best checking it out. Do one at non-peak time and one during peak time.

Test Result

Username = yourMacAddress@skydsl

e.g. 00F3981F988@skydsl

7. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

etherz (22-10-10)

Thanks

Okay this may be a simple question, but how do I cange my login to bt_test_user@skydsl as I cannot complete part 2 of the test. I thought the sky box was locked down?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you can't, you have to use your username which is the MAC address off the bottom of the router followed by @skydsl as stated above. If the test isn't working then try again at another time. Although your line stats are great there's the possibility you're on a 250kbps profile but it's likely to be the peak time throttling from 4-midnight every night
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

I cannot complete part 2 of the test. I thought the sky box was locked down?
      From this I assume you have completed the first part? Can you post it in full please? The important part is your IP Profile. If this is set too low, it may have 'stuck' and need to be restarted.

I think you are probably suffering from Sky's excessive throttling. Try doing a speedtest outside the peak time, ie, before about 4.30pm and then after it kicks in, after 5pm.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

etherz (23-10-10)

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

As Isitme says, chances are it is judt the crappy Sky Connect that is slowing you down. A speed test early morning should show your true speed when you can get it.

Your only option is to move ISP's because Sky Connect is not value for money, not even close.

Thanks

BT Speed Test results:

Test performed at 23:38 22/10/2010

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

I think that proves it is Sky throttling which is effecting your connection. Apart from the download speed your figures could not be better.
      Do a test outside the peak period, now for instance and I think you will get pretty near 7Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast