Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

768kbps down speed?

This is a discussion on 768kbps down speed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm wondering if anyone can help me investigate this, as I'm working on a very limited set of information at ...

steoc4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

768kbps down speed?

I'm wondering if anyone can help me investigate this, as I'm working on a very limited set of information at the moment.

Basically, I recently moved into a HMO and the broadband is supplied by the landlord, which unfortunately means I don't have too much control, and I've found that the connection is ridiculously slow.

From my investigations I was able to log into the router and find this information:

DownStream Connection Speed 768 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 416 kbps

This hasn't changed for a few days, and I've tried rebooting the router etc.

Line attenuation is 44db and noise margin is 17 db which I think are both fine. I've checked my distance from the exchange and I should be capable of getting about 12Mbps here, I'd be happy with a quarter of that!

So I'm just wondering if there's anything else I can look into before I resort to bringing it up with the landlord? I don't actually know what package we have but the slowest package Sky do is far in excess of the speeds I'm getting. The other people living here aren't particularly computer literate and don't know much about it either, they never realised it was slower than it should be...

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 768kbps down speed?

From the stats, you're capped. However, caps are usually put in place for a reason (error build-up) in order to keep the line stable. Do you have access to the master socket, or enough of a relationship with your landlord for permission to check what's plugged into telephone sockets and such?

ingavious is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mottram
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steoc4 View Post

DownStream Connection Speed 768 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 416 kbps
      is that what your router is telling what you should be getting or is that from a speed test of what you are getting?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^That is the stats from the router, not the download speed.

I think 12 Mb is abit ambitious given your attenuation, 7-8Mb would be more realistic if you have a good line. It appears your line is on G.DMT, which should not be necessary given its length. Do as suggested and check that all phone sockets in use have a filter fitted as the first item plugged in. Look especially at Sky boxes, make sure they are using a filter, the bit on the end of the extension supplied by Sky fitters is not a filter, it is a splitter. Make sure this is plugged into a filter.

When you have done that, call Sky and ask them to reconfigure your line for its best speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.