Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband speed

This is a discussion on Broadband speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi there, I have been with sky now for just under 2 months as of today i have just upgraded ...

kimbodd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01324
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Smile Broadband speed

hi there,

I have been with sky now for just under 2 months as of today i have just upgraded broadband package to unlimited, as on everyday lite just now. Whilst on phone i explained that they estimated my download speed to be 1.5mb i checked and it was 0.4 download and 0.8 upload. he told me to put adsl in test socket he done something at his end and i now have it up to 4.5mb so he says, i have since put my attachment back in phone socket so it skybox is connected to phoneline and it has went back down again, is it ok to leave this out??
      i will post my router settings these are when the skybox link is taken out.

I would appreciate if anyone can advise me if the upgrade will make broadband any quicker and if not there is anything else i can do.

I must add i please make it in simple explaination as i am not really into computer stuff. lol
      Thanks in advance
      Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 01:35:43

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 9917 12970 0 432 2333 01:34:52
      LAN 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      WLAN 14545 11168 0 2481 489 01:34:43
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4512 kbps 614 kbps
      Line Attenuation 50.5db 33.7db
      Noise Margin 8.8db 12.5db
      Poll Interval: (secs)

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Broadband speed

On those stats you can possibly get maybe 5-5.5mb, are they from the test socket? If so the only way to maintain the speed is to fit a filtered faceplate and run the router from that, ADSLNations XTE-2005 works well for this task.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i have since put my attachment back in phone socket so it skybox is connected to phoneline and it has went back down again, is it ok to leave this out??
      If you only have one Sky box, Sky don't bother whether it is plugged in or not. When you plug it in are you plugging the filter into the socket first, then plugging the sky box into it. If you are you probably have a poor filter. Many find that going out and buying one solves the problem. The Sky ones are not too good.

If you have fixed telephone sockets connected to the Master socket, then do as Simon suggests and fit a filtered faceplate. - ADSLNation XTE-2005 Professional Quality Master Faceplate Filter

Upgrading to Unlimited will make no difference to your speed, only your download limit will rise from 2Gb to whatever you want.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

hiya, thanks for replies
      yeah thats from the test socket, the guy advised me to keep that in just now to maintain connection. so by fitting the faceplate how will that give me a quicker speed? (sorry am not really up on all the computer jargon)
      and i do have a box upstairs but its not plugged into a phone socket as i didnt want one upstairs so only have one phone line box.

Thanks

yeah thats from the test socket, the guy advised me to keep that in just now to maintain connection. so by fitting the faceplate how will that give me a quicker speed?
      It will not give you a quicker speed. As Simon says, it will maintain the speed you have in the Test socket and allow you to plug everything into the faceplate. If you only have one phone socket in your house the benefit would be mainly cosmetic, apart from giving you a better quality filter. As I said, the Sky supplied filters are sometimes of very low quality.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

so if simon says i can get 5-5.5mb how do i manage to get that when speed test shows 4.5mb.
      thanks

Thanks

If your noise margin stays consistently above 8 dbs, you could call Sky and ask them to lift your speed a bit. This might get you up to 5Mb. Your attenuation should support 5-6Mb, but the fact that your noise margin is not very high means that your particular line will not.

TomD

Useful Utilites