Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Upgraded to Sky Unlimited and something does not add up!

This is a discussion on Upgraded to Sky Unlimited and something does not add up! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by düb Thanks for settling my nerves a tad. Can any of you wonderful people help me get ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Upgraded to Sky Unlimited and something does not add up!

Quote Originally Posted by düb View Post
      Thanks for settling my nerves a tad.

Can any of you wonderful people help me get to the bottom of my problem? Looking at my previous posts including Router stats.

Posted a similar thread on the Sky forums, no help so far!
      What is your current problem? Your previous issue was dated 2010, I would assume that this was resolved.

If it is speed related, could you post your router stats. SpeedIO, and the others, does tell us the crucial information that is required.

Also could you confirm how your router is connected to the telephone line? For example are you using an extension?; have you changed microfilters?; are you using the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the Sky router?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      düb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Belfast Cregagh
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      What is your current problem? Your previous issue was dated 2010, I would assume that this was resolved.

If it is speed related, could you post your router stats. SpeedIO, and the others, does tell us the crucial information that is required.

Also could you confirm how your router is connected to the telephone line? For example are you using an extension?; have you changed microfilters?; are you using the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the Sky router?
      I'm afraid not, after this thread and others plus contact with Sky I got frustrated and gave up. Should have kept going really.

As in previous posts it's basically the fact my exchange is so close and yet the speeds I'm getting are even less than the ones recommended by Sky themselves.

Did a normal router and test socket test last night. Much like the ones I posted earlier in this thread.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Input your telephone number here and copy paste your stats to this thread.

Thanks

Ok, I've just been reading through the thread, going back to the beginning in October last year.

From what I can gather the following is true:

• You are connected to the Belfast Cregagh telephone exchange
      • This exchange is around 161m from your home
      • Your telephone line reports that you are 2.888Km from the exchange
      • Your Line Attenuation confirms this
      • Your exchange has Sky's LLU equipment
      • Your stats confirm that you are NOT on Sky BB Connect (Connect is an ADSL based package. The speeds will be divisible by 32. Yours are odd numbers)
      • You've previously contacted Sky over this issue and got through to CST (was called tier 2)

You discussed whether or not to fit a filtered faceplate, but from what I can gather you never pursued this.

Could you post your current connection stats from your router please?

Your exchange has been upgraded to support Fibre. No one has asked if you have a Green Street Box (GSB) nearby that has been upgraded.

Is it possible for you to follow your telephone line to a GSB? Does your line go underground or does it go directly to the telephone exchange?

Did you ever chase Sky's CST to see if they could get someone out to recheck your telephone wiring & the route that it takes to the telephone exchange? It might be that it has to take some obscure router as there is no direct trunking route to the exchange from the GSB that you are connected to.

GSBs serve a lot of homes. It is possible that you are connected to one that is some distance from you. I would guess that the telephone line routing that BT has used over the years has been planned years in advance, but rather grown organically.

What kind of connection speeds do your neighbours get?

P.S. I know that there are a lot of questions in this post. Please do answer them as best you can. I have a busy weekend ahead of me so I might not be able to personally respond, but others will.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      Input your telephone number here and copy paste your stats to this thread.
      According to that site 'There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.'

Which equals I've no BT line. When we ordered Sky they installed a line. Giving us a strange area code. Belfast is mainly 02890 and we're 02895. If this makes any difference.

Thanks for the replies, Scubbie I'll get back to you asap.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

That checker should have given you a result. Even if Sky install a line (as they call it) it is still managed by BT and should be showing on their wholesale checker.

If you've got any friends or friendly neighbours around ask them what kind of attenuation they have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      That checker should have given you a result. Even if Sky install a line (as they call it) it is still managed by BT and should be showing on their wholesale checker.

If you've got any friends or friendly neighbours around ask them what kind of attenuation they have.
      I wish I was friendly enough with my neighbours....

Interesting to get that result then.

Thanks

Right Scubbie, here goes! Try to answer your über post!

All your points stated are true and contained in this thread. Regarding the filtered faceplate, I never got around to purchasing one, but if recommended I could pick one up tomorrow on eBay or the likes.

I'll get around to posting router stats, normal and test socket, tomorrow.

About the GSB, I think our telephone line runs to telegraph pole a few doors up the street. Then the next houses run to another telegraph pole. Spotted what appears to be a Box at the end of our street. The exchange is across a partly raised dual carriagway.

About the Sky CST I didn't persue it after that last call. I must get back onto them.

Hope this answers most of them!

Thanks

...Regarding the filtered faceplate, I never got around to purchasing one, but if recommended I could pick one up tomorrow on eBay or the likes.
      Filtered faceplates offer the better electronics for filtering the ADSL signal from the telephone line. This is particularly useful when someone has a lot of extensions of one is causing problems with the signal.

Sky User - Which ADSL Faceplate Filter?

Personally I have one and it made a small difference in my case. Most people do benefit to a small degree.

I'll get around to posting router stats, normal and test socket, tomorrow.
      I'll be busy for most of the weekend, but I'm sure others will be able to help.

About the GSB, I think our telephone line runs to telegraph pole a few doors up the street. Then the next houses run to another telegraph pole. Spotted what appears to be a Box at the end of our street. The exchange is across a partly raised dual carriagway.
      20 years ago it wouldn't of mattered so much which route the telephone trunking took. Now it is more important. if you can, speak with your neighbours and see what speeds they get and with whom.

If you can get a them to show you their router stats, it would be really useful to note them down. If you are able to see that others have significantly better Line Attenuations and are hooked up through the same GSB, then you have a good case to get Sky to engage Openreach to sort out your wiring.

About the Sky CST I didn't persue it after that last call. I must get back onto them.
      Gather your details, then I believe it would be beneficial for you to contact them and get these issues resolved.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234