Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Very slow Broadband and no phone. What is happening?

This is a discussion on Very slow Broadband and no phone. What is happening? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My son lives in West Kirby in an Edwardian house with what may (in part) be Edwardian Post Office wiring. ...

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Very slow Broadband and no phone. What is happening?

My son lives in West Kirby in an Edwardian house with what may (in part) be Edwardian Post Office wiring. Until a few days ago he could manage 1.5 Mbps BB and OK phone. Now the phone has stopped working completely and the broadband shows stats of Download 544 Kbps and a NM of 9.0 db at the test socket.

The incoming BT line (he's still on BT for line rental) has a number of wires leading into the house. BT came some 5 years ago and fitted a modern circuit with faceplate/test socket but the engineer refused to even look at the old circuits into the house and these were left connected at the BT side of the wiring.

The new circuit feeds sockets on the upper two floors. When tested with a corded phone with LCD display the display doesn't even show any information which indicates to me the line is not powered up correctly. We've tried with/without various filters in various sockets. BB works slowly from this circuit.

One of the ancient feeds has a box inside the house with what appears to be massive fuses in the circuit (solid metal and about an inch long, one for each wire). This leads onto a large auxillary bell ringer and then branches and disappears behind plaster in several directions. I think this feeds the downstairs circuit. A third incoming BT feed simply disappears into the pebble dashing never to be seen again.

The problem is if I take the large solid fuses out of the ancient circuit it also effects the new circuit and BB disappears completely. That I don't understand as the Sky Router is fed via the new BT installed circuit.

BT of course are been less than helpful and want to charge 127 just to come and have a look whereas I feel the problem is at their end as the BB is still working (at about 30% of the original speed). Talking to their call centre people is like talking to a wall, actually the wall is better because it doesn't give incorrect advice.

If anyone can give advice I would much appreciate it.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Very slow Broadband and no phone. What is happening?

If you have no dial tone at the test socket, then call BT and let them sort it out.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Very slow Broadband and no phone. What is happening?

As Brian says this is not your problem. ADSL can work with only one leg connected, phone can not.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.