Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Going insane - help!

This is a discussion on Going insane - help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I just recently signed up to Sky Broadband and it has driven me nuts over the past few days. ...

ecw87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unhappy Going insane - help!

Hi

I just recently signed up to Sky Broadband and it has driven me nuts over the past few days.

First the call centre tells me I should get about 3.5mb a second. Then I get a letter stating it will be 4.5mb, then the call centre tells me 4mb!

So I connected up this past Monday and I am getting really really slow speeds.

When checking with my router I get:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 24278 27195 0 145 887 08:55:43
      LAN 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      WLAN 146566 126026 0 31169 4256 01:19:27
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 984 kbps 694 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0db 32.6db
      Noise Margin 13.3db 7.1db

Results from Speedtest.net are below. This is at a good time. In reality it is often a download speed of 40-200kbs.

I'm in a new build house so have one of those new external master sockets which means I cannot test my connection any other way.

All phone lines etc are microfiltered. I do have a hard wired burgular alarm however have called company and they say it is filtered and won't affect the broadband.

This is driving me nuts as I cannot even update my anti virus software without it taking hours.

I was with o2 in my previous house (getting 8mb) using this very same PC on the last day so I know it cannot be the PCs fault.

Any help or advice would be appreciated as all Sky's callcentre keep saying to me is that it will be fine after DLM finishes. I really don't believe them.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Going insane - help!

Have a look inside your sockets and if there is a wire connected to terminal 3, pull it off. This is the ring wire and can cause problems. Ensure that everything you have plugged into the phone line runs through a filter. ie the filter must be the first thing plugged into the socket. This applies especially to the Sky box. If you have a Sky box plugged in, unplug it and see if it makes any difference to your stats. Quite often the Sky filters are ineffective with the Sky box.

If you can use the first socket on the line for the router, then one of these is probably your best bet. - ADSLNation XTF-85 Professional Quality 85mm Filtered Telephone Socket
      This isolate the rest of your phone wiring from the ADSL signal and will ensure it does not cause interference. Using this you do not need filters on your other sockets.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I bet the alarm isn't filtered, did they say how thay have done this?

ecw87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Turns out is was the Sky box.

I thought that the white bit that your phone line from the box is connected to was a proper filter but obviously not!

Took the ring wire out all the sockets aswell and that boosted it by a further 0.5meg so I'm now getting between 4-4.5meg as promised.

Disconnected alarm and that made no difference so can keep it hooked up.

Thanks guys for your help! Can't believe it was that simple!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I thought that the white bit that your phone line from the box is connected to was a proper filter but obviously not!
      I'm afraid a lot make this mistake, its simply a splitter. There are probably many scattered across the country who have poor broadband for this single reason.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.