Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My newly activated sky broadband - adsl1? 2? wat..

This is a discussion on My newly activated sky broadband - adsl1? 2? wat.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi guys, had my broadband and sky line activated today. It appears to be sync'ing on a ADSL1 profile, or ...

BLaZeDRas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Longton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

My newly activated sky broadband - adsl1? 2? wat..

hi guys,

had my broadband and sky line activated today. It appears to be sync'ing on a ADSL1 profile, or some butchered limited adsl2 profile im not sure. The technical support had no idea about any of this and only after putting me through to a floor manager he assured me that there is some "line test" going on and it should be resolved within a couple of days and the line should be performing properly.

Right now I am sync'd at
      DownStream Connection Speed 8190
      UpStream Connection Speed 766

... before today I was on Be broadband (pro package), getting 14mbit down and 2mbit upload (approx). I know that sky does not offer ADSL2+ annex M, but I thought I would be put on to ADSL2+ Annex A straight away. Is this a normal practice for them to put u on some weird profile?

Thanks

Petros

ps. current statistics (very little info avaliable on this d-link router from what I can tell)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8190 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0db 20.2db
      Noise Margin 9.1db 11.8db

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: My newly activated sky broadband - adsl1? 2? wat..

That is adsl2+, 8192kbps down, 768kbps up

You'll be on DLM (see your welcome letter) which runs the first 10 days and the more you turn the router off the quicker it'll get screwed up
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      That is adsl2+, 8192kbps down, 768kbps up

You'll be on DLM (see your welcome letter) which runs the first 10 days and the more you turn the router off the quicker it'll get screwed up
      right, I've read that on the letter now, did not see it before. I still find it strange, why don't they just set a SNR of 6db? I used a 3db profile on Be and it was stable as can be at 14mbit down 2mbit up (ish).

Thanks

Sky's lowest is 7dB, which you'll be on as DLM doesn't change the SNRs and only manual config would raise it...obviously try your test socket and see what happens but 14Mbps on that attenuation is exceptional

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

i used to get 15-17mbit down and 2.1mbit up last year on the exact same line. I have no idea why it has decreased this year but yes up until changing to sky I was getting 13-14mbit down and 1.7-1.9mbit up (annex m+)

hopefully it will resolve itself through this DLM crap they seem to be using, but i'm going to be very annoyed if they are using 7db as the lowest profile and my pings are absolutely awful at the moment. I don't think I should be accepting anything less than 12mbit down and 1.3mbit up (annex A) from this line.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

No chance you'll get 1312kbps upstream. Maybe around 1.1mbps at most. As said, 7db is the lowest SNR Sky set. DLM should also have your delays at 8ms already, so that's as low as Sky's interleaving will go.

Thanks

bah, well i guess i can hope for higher than 1.1mbps on upstream, though 1.1mbit wouldn't be the end of the world if the general experience is much better than it is right now...

why is it not likely to get 1.3mbit? Annex A on ADSL2+ on Be was solidly 1.3 unless i went on the "safe/stable 9db setting" which I never had to. Then I went on annex M+, so got 1.5-1.7mbit on 6db profile and 1.8-1.9 on 3db profile.

gotta say this first day of sky has been terrible broadband wise. Ping is terrible, doing anything while having torrents open (limited / no where near maximum speeds) is impossible. I'm used to using my line at 90~% utilization without affecting pings/browsing at all pretty much on Be, so I duno wat im going to do if this doesn't improve majorly.

I don't think DLM gives a good impression to customers when they start using the service; frankly I don't see the need for it at all, can anyone enlighten me? When I first went on Be there was no "training period" it worked flawlessly from day 1.
      Last edited by BLaZeDRas; 16-10-10 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks

All ISPs have a degree of training in, it's just to have the line work best for the setup of the customer. Sounds like you should've done a bit more research before moving to Sky BB as it sounds like you're expecting the same service as BE which you're unlikely to get

Thanks

I've been with sky before, a number of years ago on their unlimited package (or max i think it was called then) and it was brilliant service wise, never had any issues so did not have to call customer support (which ofc I saw is awful, at least on the day I rang... its not even about them sorting the problem; he was rude and did not understand what I was talking about and seemed to not understand basic facts about DSL connections)

Anyhow I came into this fully expecting a lower level of service, afterall I am paying 7.50 /month (i believe) for this, whereas I was paying approx 22 /month for Be; that being said Be is clearly the best ISP in country and the connection + support there are top-notch.

I left Be for ease of billing, I like to have one bill (i was not paying line rental before). Also since I was already switching to sky for phone/tv it made sense money wise + taking in consideration that my past experience with sky broadband was fairly good

The difference in "usability" in the service on sky that im experiencing now may be due to the router being extremely poor in comparison to Be's "thompson 586v7" but Im not sure thats the case since Be's routers are known not to be great (I was using a draytek most of the time@ Be, though the Thompson performed great when I used that). Right now on the D-link from sky if i so much as have anything streaming or downloading (torrenting but extremely limited) it causes my pings to skyrocket with spikes even higher ping. on the thompson/be I could download at 1.3mb/s whilst uploading at 150kb/s whilst pinging at 13-16ms and gaming on wow with no affect on normal pings whatsoever)

All ISPs have a degree of training in,
      this may be so these days but 2 years ago when I signed up with Be there was no noticeable performance difference to the rest of the time I was with them. Maybe Sky will improve ping/usability wise etc, I cannot predict that but even if it does this inconsistency in quality is pretty shocking

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You need to get your max delays reduced to 8 if you want the lower pings - you have to phone them for this. As others have said sky use a 7db profile the only way you can get that to go lower is by getting them to firstly uncap your line to 20mb downstream and then use a Broadcom based router with snr tweaking enabled to push the snr down.
      Please note that you may have a faulty router as although the sky routers do bad QoS (If at all) if you are limiting your downloading then there is no reason for it to affect your pings.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast