Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My newly activated sky broadband - adsl1? 2? wat..

This is a discussion on My newly activated sky broadband - adsl1? 2? wat.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by simonmpoulton You need to get your max delays reduced to 8 if you want the lower pings ...

BLaZeDRas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Longton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: My newly activated sky broadband - adsl1? 2? wat..

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      You need to get your max delays reduced to 8 if you want the lower pings - you have to phone them for this. As others have said sky use a 7db profile the only way you can get that to go lower is by getting them to firstly uncap your line to 20mb downstream and then use a Broadcom based router with snr tweaking enabled to push the snr down.
      Please note that you may have a faulty router as although the sky routers do bad QoS (If at all) if you are limiting your downloading then there is no reason for it to affect your pings.
      how can I use a broadcom based router? I take it they still make it near-impossible to get the username/password? at the moment I do not have another router but I will probably get one if this one does fail on the "load" front. what do they cap the lines at? ;o why would they cap them below the advertised 20mb, i mean if someone isnt going to be getting 20mb because of their line quality what is the point in imposing a cap anyway ^^

I'll look into the max delays thing after this DLM nightmare is over :P

cheers man

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

why would they cap them below the advertised 20mb, i mean if someone isnt going to be getting 20mb because of their line quality what is the point in imposing a cap anyway ^^
      I think the way Sky look at it is that if a line is allowed to 'run free' and there are problems with the line, it will be continually dropping out, increasing the anger of users and calls to their Help centre. Capping the line to a stable rate, means it will stay up and keep the user happy. They do not cater for technically advanced users who may be able to manage their own connection, maybe some time in the future they will realize that not everyone is a technophobe and relax their attitude.

I don't know if it is true, but asking to be put on a Gamer profile could result in the cap being taken off and the delay being set low. It may be worth a try when the DLM is finished. Others who have experienced this might comment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

here is one example of what I mean with the issues of (what I suspect to be the router) being practically unusable.

this is with 400kb/s download limited, and 40kb/s upload limited on utorrent. no other traffic in the household on homeplug'd ethernet connections to the router (which worked flawlessly just days before today with Be's router).

Should I complain to sky about a replacement router if this persists? This basically makes the service unusable for me, making things dog-slow or time out while doing "half capacity" downloading/uploading.

stats, while still butchered from this DLM crap, at the time of screenshot were:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8190 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0db 20.2db
      Noise Margin 7.6db 12.0db

somehow the downstream noise margin has dropped to 7.6db........ this makes no sense unless it is the DLM causing it.

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

lsomehow the downstream noise margin has dropped to 7.6db........ this makes no sense unless it is the DLM causing it.
      it was 1am u posted this its gonna drop at that time, street lights cause inteference theres also a lot of other reasons, your SNR will drop after 6pm and get worse as it gets to around 12am then about 7am it goes back to normal!!

lol if your downloading and uploading at the same time your ping will go high, i only remember seeing my ping that high when maxing my upload though, but i can download at 750KB/S and my ping will be 16 - 80ms jumping about a bit

PING WITHOUT DOWNLOADING:
      C:\Users\Boothy>ping 90.207.238.99

Pinging 90.207.238.99 with 32 bytes of data:
      Reply from 90.207.238.99: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=12
      Reply from 90.207.238.99: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=125

Ping statistics for 90.207.238.99:
      Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% l
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 9ms

PING TO BBC WHILE DOWNLOADING AT 400KB/S:
      My newly activated sky broadband - adsl1? 2? wat..-400k-download.jpg

Thanks

exactly my point. this should not be happening. so its either the line is working some artificial cap (400-500kb/s DL and 50kb/s upload)... or the router is completely broken/not working correctly.

lol if your downloading and uploading at the same time your ping will go high,
      at 50% utilization it should not affect the ping more than a couple of ms. Hell, on my Be line I could use 90-95% of the lines capacity whilst having very little if any affect on the ping. This may be due to the router (as I guessed in my post).

either way it stands that right now my line is under-performing on a grand scale... I cannot download anything (limited to 300kb/s even) without it severely impacting browsing or playing games (unplayable lag spikes/pings). This should not happen.. so its either the router is complete garbage and I'll have to complain or the service is dismal.

this is my line speedtested with ZERO utilization. something is wrong, is DLM supposed to cause the line to be this unusable?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8190 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0db 20.2db
      Noise Margin 11.4db 9.0db

stats at time of speed test. Ping test:

jitter is fine, though on an unused line i'd expect 0-1ms, but that ping is horrible. sure i need to ring up and ask them to lower the delay but is that really the standard ping on sky?

ping on be before doing any sort of optimisation/gaming profile was around 18-23ms i think. after enabling gaming mode etc it was 12ms with 0ms jitter every time when the line was not in use

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky broadband is moreso a domestic service, aimed at the everyday user. If you want to download infringed material whilst gaming, then either look elsewhere than Sky dsl or try another router.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Sky broadband is moreso a domestic service, aimed at the everyday user. If you want to download infringed material whilst gaming, then either look elsewhere than Sky dsl or try another router.
      infringed material? sorry mr holier than thou; there are MANY uses for a DSL connection that are legal, above board and demanding of a semi-functional line. Don't be a complete tool all ur life picking fights on a forum

I don't see why you feel the need to defend any (not sky.. any) company that is obviously conning their users by "being a normal ISP". Mediocrity is not an excuse for being crap imo (not talking about my line/experience because I have not had enough time to gauge the experience and see how good the line is after this DLM crap)

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLaZeDRas View Post
      Don't be a complete tool all ur life picking fights on a forum
      Grow up, buddy. It's not my problem that you took a facetious comment so personally.

Most ISPs have their own DLM in place, so perhaps you should have done a bit more research on this 'crap'. If you really care about playing a game with good ping times, whilst downloading 'legal' torrents, then my advice still stands.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Grow up, buddy. It's not my problem that you took a facetious comment so personally.

Most ISPs have their own DLM in place, so perhaps you should have done a bit more research on this 'crap'. If you really care about playing a game with good ping times, whilst downloading 'legal' torrents, then my advice still stands.
      Man, you are the fool acting like you are high and mighty on the internet. Seriously If you cannot see how condescending you were being by implying that everyone who uses torrents is constantly stealing then you're dumber than I thought.

Anyhow, I'm not replying to you're illogical garbage... sorry "advice" again.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

To answer your previous question you can get your username/password easily out of the Sagem and Netgear routers. If you have the new d-link then you'll have to wait for someone to crack it before you can use your own router. Cheapest router you can snr tweak on would be the DG834G-V4 with DGTEam firmware I would think (Make sure it's a V4 as the other versions have different chipsets)

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast