Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dumb question about port forwarding.

This is a discussion on Dumb question about port forwarding. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello! Plea for help here from someone who clearly is missing one or two very basic facts about something... I've ...

Los del Bob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Dumb question about port forwarding.

Hello! Plea for help here from someone who clearly is missing one or two very basic facts about something...

I've never really understood ports and port forwarding. I'm having a problem running a multiplayer session on a new game I've got hold of, and every other instance of the error on their forums was caused by blocked ports. The game says;

Q: What ports is needed to host RACE on the internet?
      A: TCP+UDP 48942 48957 and UDP 26900-26907

Q: I am on a firewall protected LAN network and want to a RACE server for other users of the same LAN network, what ports do I need to open?
      A: TCP+UDP 48942 - 48957 and UDP 48958-48973
      So, as per the instructions in this thread I added three new services and new rules to allow all three services both inbound and outbound (wasn't sure which) - taken a screenshot of both the "Services" screen and the "Firewall rules" screen in the first picture below. I've allowed the same ports in Sygate Personal Firewall (see second picture).

And it still doesn't work. So, could you kind, knowledgeable people take a look at the two attached images and tell me if I have successfully forwarded ports TCP+UDP 48942-48957 and UDP 26900-26907 and 48958-48973? I feel a little rude doing the 'sign up to a forum, first post is begging for help' thing, but I obviously just don't know enough about this and have missed something really obvious.

Any help gratefully received,

Bob.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dumb question about port forwarding.-2_firewall-setup.jpg   Dumb question about port forwarding.-1_router-setup.jpg  
      Last edited by Los del Bob; 12-10-10 at 04:13 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Dumb question about port forwarding.

I could be wrong, but I think the LAN Server IP address should be the address of the PC you are trying to forward to, not the router address.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey there! Thanks for the reply.

I did have it as my PC's IP, then tried it as the router as it was in the picture - no joy either way unfortunately.

I've changed the picture to show it as it is now, with my PC's IP.

-Bob

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you actually have the DG834GT, there are several having problems with port forwarding with the new Dlink.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ah, you're right, it's a D-Link one.

Issues on that router with port forwarding? That makes it even more irritating that I've had this bit of hardware forced upon me by Sky...

Thanks man, I'll go Google around for that router and port forwarding (then add this to the angry letter I've been drafting to sky about a number of issues).