Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help regarding slow connection.

This is a discussion on Help regarding slow connection. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, some of this came up in the Sky broadband is a joke thread, but if you could help me ...

Grimoald is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help regarding slow connection.

Hi, some of this came up in the Sky broadband is a joke thread, but if you could help me that would be great.

I'm an unlimited subscriber, averaged around 3-3.5mbps, went on holiday for a week and a half, come back (literally nothing changed) and was down to less than 1mbps. I have an old style master box so wasn't able to use a test socket but tried multiple filters and nothing changed.

My statistics were:

Yesterday morning I bought an NTE5 socket from Maplin (more expensive, but for convenience) and by doing this:

Clarity UK - ADSL BT Linebox Adaptor Faceplate

quickly as I didn't have enough wire to extend the 2/B and 5/A to completely replace the old master box. I was aware of the legality issue, but that isn't my primary concern atm (I have also ordered a ADSLNation XTE-2005 to be installed when it arrives, we only need use the one phone socket for the router and our phone-hub).

Used the test socket and my statistics are better, but still not what they were before the issue:

I am somewhat aware of DLM and I realise that I might have been capped while away, but I would like to know what to do next and how best (and most quickly, preferably without talking to annoying phone centre people for hours) sort this out so my speeds are back to what they were (or potentially even better).

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: Help regarding slow connection.

Your attenuation has increased in the second screen shot which is strange if you have wired the socket on properly.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Your attenuation has increased in the second screen shot which is strange if you have wired the socket on properly.
      They aren't from the same wall plate in the house (different floors). Also the old junction box hasn't been replaced, but the NTE5 has been added to it if that makes any difference.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You got a max of about 2mb on those second stats, I would definitely recheck that wiring though because as paul says the attenuation shouldnt go up. The NTE5 should be the first thing wired off the junction box and every extension should be connected to the faceplate of the NTE5.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

I don't really know, all I did was take the 2 and 5 wires that went to the closest wall-plate about 40cm away (where they were subsequently re-distributed) and put them into the NTE5.

Just took another test and the results are different again.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

If you have wired it correctly the only stats that can show anything will be from the test socket BUT any other socket on the line must not be getting a dial tone when the test socket is exposed. Sounds like you have wired a new socket onto an extension instead of wiring it into the primary position.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

It is totally pointless wiring up an NTE5 socket and filtered faceplace unless you do it as the first socket in the house, all the other sockets then connect to this which allows the filtered faceplate to filter the signal before any of the other wiring and sockets interfere with it.

You must also run the router from this faceplate, doing anything else other than removing all the other phone points in the house will not work.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am not sure how it has happened but somehow your Mode has changed from G.DMT to ADSL2+ between the first and subsequent stats you have posted. It looks like DLM may have kicked in with all the messing about you have been doing with the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I am not sure how it has happened but somehow your Mode has changed from G.DMT to ADSL2+ between the first and subsequent stats you have posted. It looks like DLM may have kicked in with all the messing about you have been doing with the router.
      How do you know that?

I've checked the wires. No other socket in the house is currently wired up. All I have is the B/2 wire and the A/5 wire coming straight out of the old master junction box and going into the NTE5.

What should I do next?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

So to clarify, following the BT cable that comes in from outside, the new NTE5 socket is the very first socket connected to it, no junction boxes other sockets or joins.

If you still have the junction box, can you post a picture of the junction box with the front off so we can see the wires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast