Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

keep getting d/c

This is a discussion on keep getting d/c within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ok so i have opened the socket with the capacitor n there r 2 wires. 1 jus has a lil ...

firoz_2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: keep getting d/c

ok so i have opened the socket with the capacitor n there r 2 wires. 1 jus has a lil blue wire connected n the other has blue n red. so i m guessing i need to disconnect the 1 tht jus has the blue connected on its own? also the green is not connected for either is tht fine?

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

hey i followed 1 of the wire n tht was going to the second socket so i took those wires out n connected the router again the problem still exists. the noise margin keeps increasing every few hours or minutes.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You might find that the second wire going to your extension is connected to one of the wires before it is connected to the terminal. 2 wires would have to be connected for the phone to work.

The incoming wires should be connected to the number 2 and 5 terminals only. It looks like you have a 4 core drop cable with all the wires solid colours. The cable going to your extension will be twisted pair with 4 or 6 wires with each pair being colour with a white stripe and white with a colour stripe. The incoming cable usually has Orange, White, Green and Black wires, with the Orange and White used as the carriers, but this is not always the case. What you have to do is find the incoming cable, then the individual carrier wires and make sure that these and these only are connected to the 2 and 5 terminals of the faceplate. It does not matter which way round the wires are connected. Do this and post your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

firoz_2007 (15-10-10)

Exchange:
      Thanks

ye 1 of the cable had an orange wire but tht cable was leading to the extension. i disconnected everything n jus connected the blues of the other cable to 2 and 5 terminal. i tested the extension n there was no dial tone. the main is working but the problem still exists. the stats rite now r fine

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10333 kbps 506 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32 db 17 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 6 db

but this changes to the 1 posted earlier everytime it disconnects. i have never had this problem with my internet. i think there might be a problem with my line externally but sky keeps telling me that my line is fine. i am very disappointed with their service coz they started billing me sky tv equipment insurance n 1s i cancelled it this happens. even my tv stopped working n when i called them they said there is sum problem internally n for them to fix it i need insurance or to buy a new sky box. n as soon as i said i m leaving the tv started working. either its pure coincidence or sky is taking me for a fool. oh n i never asked for insurance in the 1st place n didnt have it until the last 2 months when i received a call from some1 saying they gonna update my price n give me a discount so i said ok. he asked me for my details 2 which i told him tht sky already has them. then he said its for confirmation so i gave it n then i see a 13 being taken out for 2 months until i cancld the direct debit from my bank.

n e wayz this has nothing to do with the problem unless this is the reason why my services are acting up.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like you were taken in by one of the many scam Sky Protection plans. The only plan approved by Sky is Sky Protect, which would not cost you 13 a month. - Sky Protect - The only warranty protection plan for Sky, recommended by Sky

The only problem with your stats is the low upload speed and noise margin. This can cause a drop just as easily as poor download figures. I would recommend you buy a good quality filter, something like this - XF-1e - Professional Microfilter - adslnation.com The filters supplied by Sky are not always good quality and can cause problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok i m going to buy the filter but would that resolve the problem. or do you think its an internal or external problem.

Exchange:
      Thanks

i have connected the extension back on again. gonna monitor it for a few days to see if there r any drops. i did notice that when i connected the router to the main through a filter and the phone to the extension without a filter the noise on the phone and the noise margin was really high. not sure if that is usual or not. for now the router and phone are connected to the extension through the filter. gonna order the filter "isitme" suggested tomorrow. hopefully things should stay stable. jus want to say thanks to all you guys for the help and support. will keep you updated of any change.

thanks again.

here r the stats for now:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10333 kbps 510 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31 db 16 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 13 db

Exchange:
      Thanks

the issue stills exists was playing cod and just had a drop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12