Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

We know we've got noise, but any ideas?

This is a discussion on We know we've got noise, but any ideas? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have gotten the up to 20mb package installed. Never anticipated to ever get above 2mbps on such a long line ...

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question We know we've got noise, but any ideas?

Have gotten the up to 20mb package installed. Never anticipated to ever get above 2mbps on such a long line (boyfriends house - please ignore my Skyuser info on the left). But during DLM as soon as we were switched onto Sky initially it got to 1446kbps. It then dropped.

We figured just let DLM do it's thing...you can't take the ups and downs of the first 10 days too seriously I said. After 10 days and signing into Sky to see if it finished, Sky had us on 221 down and 600+ up.

When the speed during DLM hit above 1mbps on certain days (namely night late through to morning - where it notably dropped around 7-8am)...it was great.
      But the only way we can even get close to 1mbps is switching off the router daily (not something we did during DLM I might add tho). But it will enivitably drop into the 200-800kbps range eventually all by itself. Mostly the former of 221kbps.

I am going to ring BT to complain about the apparent noise on the line (I'm sure it will help and I know not to mention Broadband). But aside from that affecting us intermittently...can you guys see anything else wrong with stats?

Bearing in mind it CAN hit almost 1.5mbps...it just doesn't want to stay there. And what I think is a funny upload speed of 400+ considering I've seen it on 700+ upstream during DLM and some occasions after that.
      Sky tech (India I presume) tweaked line from 66downstream attenuation to 63. Our noise margins have wavered from the normal 7db range up into the 16db-21db range downstream (presumably our noisy line). What you see is one of our better speeds below.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 896 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5db 31.5db
      Noise Margin 10.8db 16.0db
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: We know we've got noise, but any ideas?

Can you get the stats from the TEST socket:- How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Will try. As I said it's my boyfriends house. I'll set it all up for test socket as thank God they've got a normal master socket here. But going to work now. May get the chance to do all of that later.

I would not be exaggerating if I said the line is so noisy you can bearly hear anyone they all sound quiet and distant amongst the noise (no outward electrical interference I can see). Cannot believe (ignoring the broadband angle) why no-one in the house just complained about noise on the line for the sake of the terrible 'call' quality. Hoping curing that with BT will help 50%.

Meanwhile will check out test socket and post my stats here later in the weekend so bare with me.
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Make sure the noise on the voice line is present when you try the Test socket. It could be internal wiring which is causing it, if so calling out BT could be expensive.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.