Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help my Sky broadband has slowed down

This is a discussion on Help my Sky broadband has slowed down within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had sky broadband since it was available and I have always had 8Mb connection speed. Last weekend just ...

JAD30 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208800
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Unhappy Help my Sky broadband has slowed down

I have had sky broadband since it was available and I have always had 8Mb connection speed. Last weekend just before lunch my broadband was really slow, a speed test showed 128kps or less. I turned off the router for 20 seconds, turned it back on, logged in and my connection was 6Mb! Today I turned off the router for 1 minute, turned it back on and again the connection speed was 6144 kbps. During a speed test I noticed the ping was 90 it used to be almost half that. How do I get my 2Mb of extra speed back, and my ping down.

I find dealing whit Sky on the Phone a big pain in the ass. Back in July my original Sky router (White Netgear) would not connect to the internet. I was 100% sure it was the router but they had me changing filters, moving it off the extension to the main socket etc, all I wanted was for them to send me a new router. Anyway eventually I got what I wanted (this after about 45mins on the phone) and paid 28 for a new router . When I got it, it all worked OK, my broadband was back.

Back to my original problem, there has been no change to my telephone line apart for the new router I got in July, I live in north London (Stamford Hill area) and here are my stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6144 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0db 21.4db
      Noise Margin 15.1db 10.5db

I think my line needs to be restarted, like when you first join to get the best speed in the first couple of weeks. Is this possible, what is this called and is there a sky broadband e-mail address I can send this request to.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Help my Sky broadband has slowed down

Quote Originally Posted by JAD30 View Post
      I find dealing whit Sky on the Phone a big pain in the ass. Back in July my original Sky router (White Netgear) would not connect to the internet. I was 100% sure it was the router but they had me changing filters, moving it off the extension to the main socket etc, all I wanted was for them to send me a new router.
      It's essential diagnostics that have to be done before even thinking of replacing a router.

At present, you're capped at 6144/800. You mention in your post that you usually run the router off an extension socket; are you still plugged into the extension socket? If so, then DLM has probably capped you for stability due to errors. I'd advise moving the router to the master socket, or even better - the test socket, before calling Sky to uncap the line.

Thanks

Yes I am still plugged into the extension socket upstairs as I get better wireless cover for the whole house (for phone and laptop) and I have had it like this for over 4 years with no problem. I will move my router to the master socket and post back.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have had sky broadband since it was available and I have always had 8Mb connection speed
      This shows you have always had some sort of problem, your attenuation would support 12-13Mb with a decent line. Plug into your Test socket as suggested and post your stats from there. If there is a substantial difference, we can advise what to do about the wireless problem

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

OK I am now plugged into the master test socket attached is the stats. It looks the same to me speed wise.
      Attached Images Attached Images

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Copying and pasting the stats is better as it allows them to be viewed without leaving the post.

Your speed will not change as you are capped, but the increase in noise margin shows your extension is having a bad effect on the connection. Leave it plugged in there and call Sky. Ask them to reconfigure your line as you have made improvements to your wiring. When we see what you can get, you make your mind up what you want to do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.