Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Help Using RouterStats Lite

This is a discussion on Help Using RouterStats Lite within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme You mean you have more than one Test socket? You really need to take them from ...

peter7769 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bicester
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Help Using RouterStats Lite

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You mean you have more than one Test socket? You really need to take them from the Master socket Test socket.
      No, right what i will do tom night hopefully is plug the router into my one and only master socket, take a reading, then plug it back into the socket i use it on regularly and the post those as well.

Job done

Pete

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The problem with that is even using the master socket the wiring for the second socket is still connected and will still cause interference so the stats may not change.

What you will have to do is remove the extension wires from the master socket and then get the stats from it, this way you will only have the one socket and so there should be no more internal wiring interference.

Once you have done this you can then connect up the second socket again. Best bet would be to replace the current master socket with an NTE5 socket which will then have a TEST socket and allow for easy testing.

Thanks

Thanks, but Im not happy with removing wires so I will just do it without and see whats what, I'm then going to call sky as they have already said there may ber an internal wiring fault, even though it's been the same for the last five years!

Pete

Thanks

Without isolating the signal to just the one socket you are pretty much wasting your time. If Sky do eventually get BT out and it is an internal wiring issue you could face a bill of over 100.

It is a very simple task to remove the wires and fit an NTE5 socket if needed and as there is no danger of electricity as there is none it is quite safe to do so.

Just take a photo of the back of the master socket with the wires in place so you can then remember which two to put back where.

Thanks

Hi
      i understand what you are saying but i really don't want to start messing with wires, i don't mind spending the money as long as they fix it, and it looks like i have a problem, I've been told that when i plug anything into the test socket on the master socket it should cut off all the other phone sockets in the house so as to isolate if the problem is inside or out, it doesn't.

I'm also posting my router stats, one from the master socket and one from the current socket i use, i have noticed that the noise margin is higher when i plug into the test socket, not sure if this is correct??

I have also had an email from John Owen and he has managed to add my router to it now after i sent him all the details, so i'm running that now, problem is that sometimes its 72 hours before my connection drops, and i don't fancy leaving the pc on for that length of time unattended.

Pete
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Using RouterStats Lite-router-bedroom.jpg   Help Using RouterStats Lite-router-pc-room.jpg  

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i have noticed that the noise margin is higher when i plug into the test socket, not sure if this is correct??
      That is due to interference from your internal wiring. It shows that you could get at least 2Mbs more from your Test socket, or from a filtered faceplate on the Master socket. This interference could be causing the occasional drop outs you are experiencing.

Run router stats lire for 24 hours from your normal position, then 24hrs from the test socket and compare the 2 sets of figures, or graphs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi
      having just spent an hour on the phone to sky, they confirm that there is a problem somewhere, i have an engineer booked for 2 weeks time.

Interesting that i could get 2mb more, perhaps when he has been i should get back on to sky and ask them to recalibrate the line!!

Will keep you posted of course.

Thanks

Pete

Thanks

Hi All

Well the engineer from open reach came yesterday afternoon and immediately said there was a problem with noise on the line, he changed the main BT box in the house as he said this was wired incorrectly and then he went off in his van, came back about 45 mins later and said he had changed our line connection right the way back to the exchange. so hopefully this would solve the problem.

8.10pm last night the router lost its connection

What i would like someone to tell me is when i look at router stats lite and i get the noise margin graphs, is it the higher the number the better or opposite, what i mean is that is 9.0db noise margin better than say 3.0db??

Please can someone explain??

Thanks Pete
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Using RouterStats Lite-noisemargin-2010oct16-1400.jpg   Help Using RouterStats Lite-26-10-2010-07-16-50.jpg  
      Last edited by peter7769; 26-10-10 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks

Yes, the higher the noise margin the better but you have to look at this relative to your sync speed, the higher your speed the lower the noise margin etc.

Thanks

Thanks, thats all I needed to know right now.

Cheers pete.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast