Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SkyBroadband Constant Lag Spikes generally

This is a discussion on SkyBroadband Constant Lag Spikes generally within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello there. For a while now i have been a subscriber to the skybroadband service. The service of the internet ...

DHarris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

SkyBroadband Constant Lag Spikes generally

Hello there.

For a while now i have been a subscriber to the skybroadband service. The service of the internet as a whole has been okey with no problems. dispite having a 20mb connection and only receiving 10mb. (Con)

being a gamer, i regularly play MMORG's, and having an internet connection is essential. Over this past week i have seen alot of changes within the service, that destroys any style of gaming and/or leisure experiences. i'am now receiving an awfall lot of Lag spikes which not only stops you from playing online games in general but also stopping any form of streaming video, such as Iplayer. This is a constant issue which happens frequently between 1minute upto every 30minutes. the lag spikes arnt predictable and desturb alot of internet interaction. I know i have no issues my end with hardware and software, because this problem has only just started this week, dispite the fact that my service was fine beforehand. Ive had no hardware or software updates during this period so i know its the internet service.

After ringing Sky. they have told me that the line is fine. Which it obviously isnt. To back my story a little further. Sometimes (not all the time) i use Iplayer while playing games. Both the streaming of Iplayer and games would freeze. After roughly 20seconds the connection is back with live streaming, but as a result i have lost any game connectivity.

Now.. I know Staff of Sky arnt about to read this on a forum which is pretty typical for any service, but i would love to have a reason which doesnt concern my end. Have subscribers been transferred onto a lagger service? if so, why?

Shall i contact Watchdog?? exploring the internet ive noticed alot of users are having the same issue. Please help............................

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: SkyBroadband Constant Lag Spikes generally

Are you on ethernet and can you post stats and explain your setup?
      How to get your router statistics
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket
      Watchdog for lag and spikes? No point.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

As this post is duplicated, I have copied my reply to this one, can we please avoid duplicate posts

Firstly, you are on an UPTO 20mb service, this really depends on the distance to your telephone exchange, the nearer you are the quicker you go. Some don't see speeds above 2mb so you are doing quite well.

Post your router stats:- How to get your router statistics

Are you using wireless, if so try a wire.

Exchange:
      Thanks

My desktop Pc is hooked up to the Sagem modem Router via an ethernet cable. no wireless dongle. their nothing but trouble. Theres nothing my end which has changed i can promise you. my internet was all fine up until a week ago. no newly installed software. no driver updates either. i was hoping it was temperary but it's becoming apparent that its here to stay. I did notice that the net did drop for 15mins or so where the modem couldnt find a connection, that particular do it started. This is how it started a week ago. Im pretty sure sky has done something their end which has given me this issue. sounds like im going to have to find myself a new ISP.

sorry if i sound ignorant about this issue, but i know theres nothing this end ive done, and im the only user on this machine. Im just sick and tired of services of poor quality.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've followed your instructions and this is the statistics.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 13365 kbps 1117 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 16.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.5 db 8.9 db

Bare in mind that this is when my net is running fine. The lag spikes happen randomly and theres no way i can capture this for you.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

This is unlikely to be a Sky problem, chances are it is either your setup (things do change even if you don't like it) or a line fault, or a game server problem. Sky don't just go around messing up peoples connection for the fun of it.....

You need to do as asked, post your router stats from the two places, the current position;-http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-routerstats.html

and the TEST socket:- How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Unless you do this then we are wasting our time trying to help you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I wouldnt take it past a company to cause lag and connectivity issues. I dont just play 1 game in particular but i have had Desync/ lost connection from atleast 4 games that i do play regularly. Sometimes i can be playing and not realise ive lost the connection, I player stops streaming, and is the only way i physically see the connection being lost. The connection is perfectly fine until the lag spike hits. when it hits, i lose the connection for a split second before returning. for online games, it only takes a split second and thats it.

on the second day of it happening i had checked the filters to make sure they were not blown and their all fine. I've also checked a laptop along side my desktop which was also hooked up via ethernet while running iplayer, and they both lost connection at the sametime. Sounds odd but ya lol.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've even changed all cables as i have some spare, to see if there was any change. but there isnt. that includes the cables to the master socket to the ethernet going from the router to the pc.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Yeah, Sky interrupting connections for jollys...

Seriously, if you're not prepared to check things out properly your end then no one can help you.

If you DO want to be 100% sure nothing your end is causing the issues then move the router to the test socket (assuming you have one), unplug all devices except one PC and close any background apps that are in the system tray (iPlayer, 4OD, etc.). Have the single PC next to the router using Ethernet and if connection does drop, check to see what light on the router are going out (if any) at the time you lose connection.

If things aren't improving then it could be your max delays are high so calling Sky to check they're at 8ms would be first thing to sort out. If they are, then you'll need to run traceroutes to see what packets are being lost.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

The reason iam stuborn is because most diognostics dont work and having already tested everything my end, i know it isnt me.

I dont always use iplayer during gaming and it still happens. I dont have any background app's running at all as they slow the pc down no end regardless of the internet. My modem router is only connected to 1 pc and both the pc, router and the master socket is within 1/2 a meter of each other, if that.

The modem doesnt drop connection to a point where it becomes visible by the LED lights. the only way i know i do drop via a lag spike is due to every game i play online losing connection. i player is also a way of noticing it. Using both iplayer and games, on 2 seperate monitors at the sametime has finalised that it is a lag spike running through my internet connection as it both apps seem to drop connection at the sametime.

I'am seeking help and i appreciate the fact you are trying. in the past i have had problems where people have tried to help but has completely waisted my time in the process as they think it might be my end, whether its viruscan to hardware issues. This problem im experiencing is very new to me and has started to happen at a time where i've not modified or done anything to make it happen this end.

It all started from a 15min drop of connection from my modem. (this did show up on the LED lights). after this, it all started, and hasnt stopped since. Im regularly on the internet working and playing leisurely so i know when things arnt right. This is how i know Sky has done something their end. Whether they have put me on a bad line or a maintenance job gone rough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast