Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speed after testing

This is a discussion on Speed after testing within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have recently sent a letter to sky's head office complaining about my broadband speed (in an attempt to ...

Brucie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chessington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Speed after testing

Hi I have recently sent a letter to sky's head office complaining about my broadband speed (in an attempt to try and get them to manually increase it)

My statistics are as follows:

Connection speed
      Down: 6919 kbps
      UP: 796

Line Attenuation
      Down: 40.0Db
      up: 22.9Db

Noise Margin
      down: 7.0 db
      up: 11.4 db

Spoke to some sky Indian call center and the guy said according to SAM knows I should get 9 Mbps but after talking to his supervisor he said my line can only get what testing has given me which is 7007 kbps and refused to do override it. Is this correct? because I heard stories that they can and usually manually override this to increase it a bit more? I wish I stayed with virgin now because I always (usually...) got 10mbps +

Any advice?
      -Brucie p.s have had sky 1 months now

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Speed after testing

There's no point sending a letter to Head Office regarding speed issues. It's just as easy as calling Sky and if the line can handle more it'll be escalated to someone who can reconfigure the line. The person you talked to was correct, however - that line won't push out any more as it stands. It's also not doing that bad for the attenuation. Plug into the test socket and re-take the stats.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

deleted
      Last edited by skypaulusplus; 08-10-10 at 09:52 PM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You need to do the basics first and post your router stats from the TEST socket, if your noise margin doesn't improve when you do this then you are getting all you can.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Thanks

below is the statistics with the test socket and without the test socket. is it not possible to get better filters then? would this increase the noise margin? thus speed?
      -bruice
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed after testing-withouttest.jpg   Speed after testing-test.jpg  

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

No, the test socket is the same as the master going by those stats so you're either on a line that won't give any more OR you have a line fault somewhere externally. I assume with the test socket exposed other sockets in the house don't have a dial tone?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Many of the Sky filters are poor quality. You could try a good quality filter, it may make some difference. You could also try using the phone cable from the Sky digi box and plug the router straight into the Test socket. What like are your stats if you do this?

Just another couple of questions. Do you have fixed telephone extensions? If so, when you remove the faceplate from the master socket do all of extensions have no dial tone.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Iv tried plugging the router in directly with the sky phone wire to the test socket and to the faceplate plug and have attached the specifications again.
      I haven't got any other extension ports. I am using a brand new bt line installed by sky/BT and only have one master socket.

The person i talked to on the phone seemed reluctant to increase the speed and he talked to his supervisor who refused to increase the speed . How can I contact the tier 2 person? and/or what is a lama reconfig?

I know I have seen on some forum perhaps this one (about a week or two ago) people with about 11 ish mbps with similar noise margins and Line Attenuation's as me.

thanks for all the advise so far
      -brucie
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed after testing-test.jpg   Speed after testing-withouttest.jpg  

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

What you have to understand is no one CAN manually increase the speed as your noise margin (SNR) is already at the default level. This means that, at present, nothing else can be done. You've either just got a bad line or a line fault somewhere along the length of the line

LAMA is the program used to manually reconfigure the line
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The result of the test without a filter shows that it is not your filter that is causing the problem. As mentioned, it looks like you have a fault on your line. Unless you have excess noise on your voice line, this is very difficult to get fixed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast