Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Sky broadband frequently intermittent

This is a discussion on Sky broadband frequently intermittent within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My Sky broadband is driving me up the wall. It is constantly cutting out and I am going on to ...

glens73 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Sky broadband frequently intermittent

My Sky broadband is driving me up the wall.

It is constantly cutting out and I am going on to the Braodband set-up screen to reset it as well as occasionally re-booting the router. I have had this problem earlier this year and it happened frequently from around February to May and then all of a sudden it stopped and has only recently started again in the past week and a half.

In my last correspondence in May I was advised by Sky to plug the router directly into the main phone socket which I have done today, via a micro-filter (having disconnected the phone and sky hd box). When I did this I checked the broadband settings and the downstream connection speed changed from c3700Kbps to 6016Kbps. I then re-connected one item at a time.The speed initially was c5600 when I connected the phone line only but then reduced to 2816 when I connected the sky box. I took the sky box lead out but it still remains at 2816. I canít understand where the problem lies now as I need to have my phone socket in and obviously my sky box as well.

It is still cutting out and I must have re-applied the broadband settings around 10 times today.

By the way I have a laptop which is kept in the living room and the router is on a windowsill in a bedroom upstairs.

The problem is not with the laptop as I have a phone which also loses connectino as well.

Has anybody else had this problem and what is the best advice on it?
      (Prior to having Sky Broadband, around 14 months ago, I had Orange and didn't have a single problem in 3 years)

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,587 Posts

Re: Sky broadband frequently intermittent

It looks like you have a bad set of filters. If you can, the best solution is to buy fit and use a filtered faceplate. - XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

In the mean time, make sure that the first thing plugged into any phone sockets that are in use is an ADSL filter. After that any phones, splitters etc can be plugged into the phone port of the filter.

Post your stats from the faceplate and from the Test socket(red link below)

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.