Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

40% sync speed reduction

This is a discussion on 40% sync speed reduction within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; That is what should happen, but if your noise margin is staying low all day it would not put it ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: 40% sync speed reduction

That is what should happen, but if your noise margin is staying low all day it would not put it back up till the margin rose. It looks like you may have REIN interference - ::. Kitz - REIN .::

Running Routerstats Lite for at least 24 hours should show what is happening.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      diggad2k7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CWMBRAN (SWCRS)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Thanks for the information on REIN.

I will, of course , suggest this may be the issue.

I will run routerstats for 24 hours from now.

I would just like to add that this morning, my router is synced at 6192kbps, which has really made me quite happy, but I'm sure this is a fluke, and won't last!

I have tried a download, to check that the router is not lying, and got a constant 700kB/sec

I wish I could have this speed at all times!!!

Thanks

Spoke to Sky again on Friday while my router was connected at 6.3.

The line 2 tech mentioned that REIN could be the issue here, and I explained that I have nothing going on in my house at that time that could effect it, so it must be external.

He has now put my line on the 72 hour automatic train-in, to see if it helps.

I am currently connected at:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6586 kbps 509 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44 db 25 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 16 db

With an actual throughput of 5.6Mbps:

I left the routerstats running for 24 hours, and the snr stayed at a constant 7db, and downstream still dropped to 3.5?!

Still no closer to a solution or valid explanation, so will be calling back tomorrow.

Thanks

I left the routerstats running for 24 hours, and the snr stayed at a constant 7db, and downstream still dropped to 3.5?!
      That looks like SRA, which keeps the noise margin constant and moves the sync speed. The opposite of the norm with Sky in which the noise margin will drop until the sync speed cannot be maintained then it drops the connection to compensate. Did you ask the Sky agent if SRA was running?

Unfortunately REIN can come from outside sources and the only ones who can trace it are BTO engineers. Fitting a RF3 filter may help, but there is no guarantee it would cure it completely.
      BT 80B RF3 Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw connectors with RFI protection)

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That looks like SRA, which keeps the noise margin constant and moves the sync speed. The opposite of the norm with Sky in which the noise margin will drop until the sync speed cannot be maintained then it drops the connection to compensate. Did you ask the Sky agent if SRA was running?
      Yes I have asked the agent if SRA is running, and they informed that it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Unfortunately REIN can come from outside sources and the only ones who can trace it are BTO engineers. Fitting a RF3 filter may help, but there is no guarantee it would cure it completely.
      BT 80B RF3 Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw connectors with RFI protection)
      I have now ordered a BT I Plate, which I have been informed has the same inductor as the RF3 box.

I have also now tried tuning a hand-held radio to 612khz, to check for REIN.

There is very little noise in my house effecting it, however outside my front door, where my 2 neighbours and my telephone cables come up from the ground, there is a lot of noise.
      I am not sure if it is the lines themselves effecting it, or whether it is equipment in my neighbours house.

Would shielded cables be an option here? Do BT install these?

Thanks

Thanks

An update for anyone who is still reading this thread.

I have a REIN engineer coming out tomorrow, as Sky believe it may be a REIN issue.

Will update when I have more information.

Thanks

Another update for anyone reading this

Since last posting BT Openreach have sent out 2 engineers who were not trained in REIN.

However, on Friday a REIN trained engineer came out, and found a source of REIN, which he thought may be affecting it.

He then asked me to drive past the location where the REIN noise was appearing when the speed was quicker. I did so over the weekend, and no noise.

He then came out today at 8 am, and sat and waited for the noise to appear. Once the noise appeared, he then used his meter to locate the source.

He then found the house causing the issue, and turned off the power, then found it to be the dvd player. Upon plugging it back in, the dvd player went bang! So happy days!

My connection is now back to normal :-)

Thanks to all that have helped me locate this problem

Thanks

Thanks for the update, there are many who would not believe this could happen, they would rather blame Sky for causing their problems. You have been lucky to get it sorted out as Sky are very reluctant to pay the cost of sending out a REIN engineer. Well done

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

I can tell you it was no easy feat getting a REIN engineer. And if it hadn't been for my persistance, I think I would not have had a solution ever. As most of the support team were happy to take the line test as sufficient evidence that there was no problem on the line.

Anyway! Again, thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Happy now! Tho would still love a faster connection :-p

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12