Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Sky bb very slow and phone line crackling

This is a discussion on Sky bb very slow and phone line crackling within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm hoping someone can help. At home, we've got Sky Unlimited broadband, phone and television package. We just renewed the ...

neogeisha is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Sky bb very slow and phone line crackling

I'm hoping someone can help.

At home, we've got Sky Unlimited broadband, phone and television package. We just renewed the contract, having upped the broadband we get to the unlimited package. For about a week, everything was fine, then we started to notice the net was going slower.

This wek on from about August to a week ago. We dropped from 16Mb download speed down to 10Mb, but we figured this was due to some work going on at the exchange. However, last tuesday, out speed dropped to below 1Mb. We contact sky who said they would try to fix it. A few days later, it dropped further to 288kb if not cutting out completely.

Further to this, our phone lines have an extraordinarily loud "crackling" sound. It';s so bad that we are just unable to use the home number at all, cause you can't hear a thing over it.

After a lot of fuss, we contacted Sky again (having unplugged all phonelines except the master connection) who told us to give them 72 hours to sort the problem with the exchange. They then proceeded to tell us that if they were unable to sort it out their end, they would have to send in an engineer at a ridiculous cost in case it was something our side that was causing the problem.

When it was pointed out that the speed had decreased since taking out a more expensive plan with them, the Sky representitive became incredibly haughty and even said at one point "well you may have to put up with a slower internet to have this package."

It is now 12 hours before the 72 hour barrier is reached and out internet is not working (I'm currently at work to seek advice) and the phone lines have gotten worse. Of course, it might be possible a solution is found in these 12 hours but at the same time we are all very nervous at home as we cannot afford the engineer to attend, as the price they gave for this was a ridiculous 165 for an hour!

We cannot cancel our contract with them as it has been renewed, but it is definately enough for me to say I doubt I will remain with Sky in the future.

Does anyone have any advice they could provide at all?

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Re: Sky bb very slow and phone line crackling

If you are plugged into the TEST socket and you have crackling on the line:
      1. The Crackling is causing your problem
      2. There will be NO engineer charge as the problem is on BT's part of the wiring.

If it isnt in the TEST socket then you need to verify that the crackling occurs in the test socket as if it doesnt then you will be hit with the engineer charge.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB