Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Lost Speed

This is a discussion on Lost Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just been through this myself with Sky. Been connected at 6.5Mb for months, if not longer. Two weeks ago, router ...

Bloater is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Just been through this myself with Sky.

Been connected at 6.5Mb for months, if not longer. Two weeks ago, router reboot, 5.5Mb connection. Complained, and got 5.1Mb to stabilise line. Complained some more, as nothing has changed my end, and got a new router. Still no explanation as to why I have lost 25% of my connection, but hopefully with the new router, I can get it reset to where I was.

Be interesting to see if its the old Netgear routers, I had mine since the beginning of time, but it seemed to work ok.

Time will tell.

So after months of getting 6.5Mb from my line, I suffered the following

A reboot of the router one night, and a resync at 5.5Mb

A flaky connection at this speed, so I contact Sky by email. No response from the email so I ring, and get tier 2 I guess. Line checks ok, so she send a new router. In the meantime, after 5 days, a response from my email. They have re-configured my line for stability.

I am now at 5.1Mb, a reduction of 25% of my speed.

My new router arrives today, plugged in, and syncs at 5.1Mb, as expected. It does appear to be quicker though, especially on wireless, maybe I am dreaming.

Anyway, before I ring Sky and ask for my 6.5Mb back my stats, from the master socket, test socket to follow tomorrow.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5119 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46.5db 26.1db
      Noise Margin 8.4db 10.0db

I think with my attenuation, I shold be getting better, and always was, as that number hasn't changed. Nothing internally has changed either, just a dodgy reboot of teh router started it all off.

Anyway, I will crawl behind the desk tomorrow, and get some stats from the test socket and post them on here.

In the meantime, any ideas gratefully received.

Gary
      Last edited by Isitme; 27-09-10 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Posts merged

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: New Router?

Bloater, You would be best starting your own thread with your router stats from the current position and also the TEST socket.

How to get your router statistics

and

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

There is usually a reason why the speed drops and this will give a good indication, who knows, you may even get more once we find out what is going on.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Lost Speed

'Configured for stability' and yet left you on adsl2plus. Sigh...

Which router do you have at the moment? White phase 1 netgear, or one of the phase 2 sagems / netgear?

From the master socket stats, you'd probably get close to where you were before if they configured the line to g.dmt and uncapped you from 5120/800.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

An update, after some investigation.

The master socket isn't the master socket despite what the builder told me. I have found the real master socket, complete with test socket inside. Stats are:

MAster

Attneuation: 46.5
      Noise Margin: 12

Test socket

Attenuation: 46.0
      Noise MArgin: 13.9

I have phone points all over the house, installed by the builder. I have a number of double points, owing to their being at least 2 lines into the house. All double sockets have a large capacitor on the back of them. It is one of these double points I am using for my internet, in the office.

I still have my router in the office, with a long extension lead, and get the numbers above. To me, that means there is something suspect with the house wiring, as the noise margin is massively lower through that, than the extension lead - Is that correct?

Oh and I now have a black Sagem router, replacing my original Netgear V1.

So anyone have any ideas for me please. I can't move the router to the master socket, as that is in the kitchen. I want to have the main pc connected with a wire to the router, just for my own personal reasons.

I will check all other phone points for the bell wire being removed, but other than that, I'm not sure there is anything else I can realistically achieve.

All ideas gratefully received.

Gary

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Should get nearer 7Mbps now, maybe more on gdmt...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have just reconnected my line to the original socket, and I now have a noise margin of 11.5dB. So perhaps there is nothing wrong with my house wiring after all, other than perhaps something slightly dodgy in the box on the wall.

Time to ring Sky I think.

Thanks.

Gary

Thanks

That's still classed as faulty wiring, best to get a filtered faceplate and leave the router in the (real) master and be done with it...that fall of 2dB could become greater in future and lead to more issues again down the line

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have a look in your sockets and see if there is a wire connected to terminal 3. If there is, pull it off. This is the ring wire and is not required when using filters. It can have a detrimental effect on broadband. Normally you would just need to remove it in the Master socket, but if you have capacitors in all your sockets, remove it in all of them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Something else I have just found. With the cover off the master socket to expose the test socket, I am getting a Noise Margin of 12 dB. Once I put the front cover back on, which includes a plug into the test socket, my noise margin drops to 8 dB at my office end.

So is this something to do with the master socket?? Even with it hanging off the wall, the phone still works, so I don't understand it.

Also can I get a filtered faceplate that is a twin. I have two lines in my office, home one which includes the internet, and an office one which doesn't.

I am confused ever so slightly at the moment, but am tempted to leave the master socket open and see what happens.

My master socket is an NTE5A, and its when pushing the lower section back on that teh noise margin drops horribly. Leave it off and its fine, staying at 11.5 - 12 dB.

What does this indicate?

Cheers.

Gary

Edit: No bell wire connected in any of teh phone sockets.

Thanks

If the line in the office works with the test socket exposed then someone's wired the extension directly to the incoming line...which isn't right. The test socket is meant to disconnect all sockets in the premesis - hence the name 'test socket'. Sounds like you've found the issue

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast