Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Lost Speed

This is a discussion on Lost Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You have a high resistance fault, normally this is at a junction somewhere along the line either at the pole ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Lost Speed

You have a high resistance fault, normally this is at a junction somewhere along the line either at the pole or the green cabinet where it could have been disturbed by another engineer doing so work in there.

2. Advertisement
      Bloater is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well after 40 mins on hold to 151 last night, I finally get to talk to one of the overseas call centres, great.

Anyway, I tell him all I have done, and that the problem still occurs in the test socket, so therefore must be BT's issue. He agrees, but the line checker is down at the moment. When will I get a call back I ask, days maybe, no he said will be same night. Well that was 24 hours ago, and nothing heard from BT at all, surprise, surprise.

I guess it will be down to me to chase them again, what the hell happened to customer service, where these big companies did as they suggested. HP are no better in trying to fix my faulty printer. No return calls at all, at least the BT call is free.

Arrrggghhh - These companies make my blood boil, and we have to pay for the priviledge of this standard of service. Now where's a good place to emigrate, hmmm nowhere at the moment, guess I'm stuck then.

Cheers.

Gary
      Currently:

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So I finally talked to BT again last night, after dialling 151 again. Explained to him the situation, and he did a line check. All fine, as were the overnight line checks for the last 12 nights.

He suggests I call Sky back, explain to them I need a broadband engineer visit and go from there.

Tonight I ring Sky, and guess what. Line check is ok sir. Its a filter issue, definitely. Err no I say, filters have all been changed, it happens in the test socket, it must be a line fault somewhere. Much toing and froing of cables, master socket, extension socket etc, mobile calls, line drops. Eventually the woman must have got bored and I got cut off.

I even told them what the BT man said, that I need a broadband engineer from BT wholesale (Openreach) to visit, but they were having none of it. In fact the first bloke I spoke to, broadband support, put me through to Skytalk support as their line test is better .

I have tonight checked all my cabling, redone the connections to the back of the test socket, even though I shouldn't and also redid the connections to the back of the faceplate. If no one else is going to try and help (BT or Sky) then I will have to help myself. Still testing at the moment, but it appears to be dropping on an incoming call, after I hang up, as long as the call is greater than 30 seconds. Outgoing calls dont affect it at all, strange or what. If only I could get one of these large corporations to take me seriously, I may have this problem solved by now.

Anyone got any ideas of who to go to next, or which numbers to call, I am at my wits end with it all. No point moving provider, as it apears to be a line issue.

Confused?!?

Gary
      Currently:

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bloater View Post
      I even told them what the BT man said, that I need a broadband engineer from BT wholesale (Openreach) to visit, but they were having none of it. In fact the first bloke I spoke to, broadband support, put me through to Skytalk support as their line test is better .
      Only CST (t2) are allowed to book a LL5 (broadband engineers). I'm not sure what the advisor you talked to meant by 'better' - sky talk WLR just run line tests via eCo (btwholesale) for PSTN issues and CST run line tests via Openreach's portal for broadband issues.

Anyone got any ideas of who to go to next, or which numbers to call, I am at my wits end with it all. No point moving provider, as it apears to be a line issue.
      You need to get through to CST. The easiest way would be the following:

Before the call, plug the router into the test socket. Call Sky on 08442410515 and tell the advisor that you're having intermittent connection issues. As long as you can confirm you have definitely tried another filter, another dsl cable and router, then it'll be escalated pretty quickly. You can mention the high opens fault, but I'd advise only to touch on it so as not to confuse matters i.e. the advisor incorrectly fobbing you off to BT. Once it has been escalated, you should hear back within 72 hours from CST, to whom you can elaborate a bit more if need be, but essentially they can book Openreach for the broadband fault.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Got through to CST or rather waiting for them to call back. More testing has found that with just the router plugged into a filter direct to the test socket, the master socket disconnected from my house wiring and no phone plugged in, the connection drops if the number is called.

Obviously the phone just rings and rings but the noise margin drops then the router reboots. My old Netgear behaves the same as the new Dlink so I think I have eliminated everything my end.

I'll update after my CST call, maybe tonight.

Gary
      Currently:

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A minor success

Well after receiving no call from CST in 5 days, I tried again. Gave the Tier 1 chap some grief, and eventually he put me through.

Very nice lady said its likely a high opens fault, and she will book an engineer, hoorah, at last.

Downside is, its 7 days away. She doesnt know why, as usually the engineers are next day almost. I did say there is a lot of work in Milton Keynes at the moment installing the fibre system, guess they are all tied up with that.

Now I have to book a day off work, as the engineer has to visit the home first. I can only hope he fixes it. Something to do with not enough voltage to be able to run BB and phone, even if phone is not plugged in. Case it makes sense, but then, I'm only a layman.

Cheers.

Gary
      Currently:

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well today was the day. A quite friendly engineer came round, and stuck his test kit in to the ADSL line. Loads of errors flying up on the screen apparently. He then rang my number, errors went even more nuts, before disconnecting completely.

Off to the exchange and an apparently heated discussion with Sky, as it appears to be their kit causing the trouble.

I am alledgedly waiting for Sky to perform a line card reset, and if that doesn't work then a "lift and shift". Lets hope Sky actually do one of these things.

So after reporting to Sky, being told its BT, Bt told me its Sky, Sky get Openreach out, he faults it to Sky, jeez. Apparently most unbundled comanies would let the openreach man sort it, however SKy have to do it all themselves. Fingers crossed the reset will happen tonight, and I can determine whether its any better.

He did replace my master socket with a filtered version, so no more filters required for me.

Additionally, since all the messing around, I have dropped a Meg on my sync speed, noise margin is nearly 10db, and a router reboot does not fix this. To cap it all a colleague in the office, on Sky, on the same exchange, is having exactly the same issue, coincidence or what

Please Sky, fix it.

Gary
      Currently:

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Looks like they're going through the standard procedure - CST hand it to the IP NOC to reset the card. If that fails to resolve the issue, then tie pair shift will be the next action.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: A minor success

Gave the Tier 1 chap some grief, and eventually he put me through.
      In all honesty he shoulda hung up on you, I never took being 'given grief' while at Sky or now - we only do a job. Fair enough the issue has been identified but having a go at someone on the phone isn't fair on them
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks guys, at least I know I'm on the right track.

When I said grief, I didn't get abusive or anything.

I asked to be put through to CST. He started asking the basic questions, Are you in the master socket, have you tried the test socket, changed filters etc. I said all done, and reported to Sky, so can you please put me through to CST. He then stated that he "had" to do these checks again, to which I replied, I am not willing to do that, put me through to CST. He did.

I normally have little issue with call centre staff, except some offshore ones. However, when they don't listen to what you are telling them, or insist on you doing the same thing their colleague asked you do yesterday, then I think thats bad, and probably explains why call centres have such bad reputations.

The CST lady was nice as pie, I explained, she listened. I also explained what tier 1 had said on numerous occasions, to which she has also noted on the system.

I don't know what gets put on the system when you call the support people. However, if someone takes my details, and then says I'll just put you on hold while I read your notes, the least I expect is that they understand what has already been done, and therefore do not resort to asking inane questions again.

Fortunately CST seem to be heading in the right direction, fingers crossed I get my promised call back this evening to confirm the next move.

Cheers.

Gary
      Currently:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast