Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Lost Speed

This is a discussion on Lost Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Do you actually have 2 master sockets? When you say the phone is still working when you remove the faceplate, ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Lost Speed

Do you actually have 2 master sockets?

When you say the phone is still working when you remove the faceplate, which phone do you mean? If it is the extension then it is not wired properly. It may be wired directly to the AB terminals on the back plate of the master socket. If it is it would account for a lot of your problems. Remove the inner faceplate of the master socket and make sure only the 2 incoming wires are connected to the A-B terminals.

The noise margin is dropping due to interference from the internal wiring, nothing to do with the socket itself. I don't think you can get twin filtered faceplates.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Bloater is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your help.

More investigation has shown that the dining room socket is disconnected when I remove the cover from the master socket. The office socket isn't. I will remove the rest of the master socket and see if I can find the other end of the office line.

I also need to check if the other sockets in the house are disconnected with the master socket, these are currently used as Sky box connections. Just checked these, and they all disconnect when I remove the cover from the master socket.

The two phone points in the lounge, and the one in the master bedroom have two leads to them. The one in the dining room has one, as has the office.

There is only one pair of leads connected to the back of teh test socket panel, so somewhere there must be a connection for the office line, which I need to move on to the same section as the dining room.

So how should the system be wired. All sockets in series? or parallel? In other words should they all be connected to the back of the master socket, or connected one after the other around the house? Can I connect two lines to the back of the removable section of the master box?

Hopefully I am getting somewhere, and can sort out the mess that the builders left behind.

Thanks guys.

Gary

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have found the problem I think.

In the cable box outside the property, panel on the wall, I have the incoming line from BT. From there the blue white and white blue wires come through into my master socket. They also have crimped on them another cable, again blue white white blue. Additionally the orange wires are crimped to the main incoming line. The orange wires are my second line to the office. The second cable, ie the crimped on blue wires bypasses the master socket completely and goes straight to the office. Hopefully that makes sense.

So to fix it, can I just remove the blue white and white blue wires from the crimp, and connect them to the back of the master socket, on the test panel, such that they are isolated when the panel is removed?

Would this then give that cable the same characteristics as the main line to the dining room, ie a much better noise margin?

I don't want to cut the wires from the crimps without some knowledge it will work. I'm not sure this was done by BT, my house was the builders office before I moved in, they probably did this themselves.

What I intend to do will in effect give me two cables in the house from the test socket, one supplying most sockets, one supplying just the office, all isolated when the front panel is removed. The second line in the office will still bypass the master socket as it currently does.

Any thoughts?

Gary

Thanks

The second cable, ie the crimped on blue wires bypasses the master socket completely and goes straight to the office.
      That is the same as if they were connected to the A-B terminals. When you connect to the Test socket you are not getting a clean connection to the line in, as this socket is still connected. I would disconnect it and reconnect it to the 2 and 5 terminals on the master socket faceplate. if this is possible. It is hard to see why the builders have done this. If you disconnect them and take your stats, you may see an immediate improvement in your noise margin.

Normally all your sockets would be connected like a daisy chain, with one cable from the master socket going to the next socket on the chain, then looped out of there to the next socket and so on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am now seriously tearing my hair out.

If I connect the office line direct to the master socket, not the AB terminals but the 2 and 5 terminals I get a noise margin of 12-13, great.

If I reconnect the original line to these terminals, ie the dining room cable, the noise margin drops to 7-8,

If I just have the dining room connected and connect my router via an extension lead I get a noise margin of 12-13 , omg.

So what the hell is happening here. I am seriously considering just drilling a hole in the wall between my office and the dining room, and running teh extension lead through that, and not bothering with the office connection.

I don't know what else to try. Its almost as if the cable, which carries the second line to the office is interfering with the other one, but why.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Gary

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

There should only be one socket connected directly to the incoming line, ALL others should connect to the master via the faceplate. You can't have both sockets running off the incoming line otherwise you'll keep having this issue. You'll need to run a cable from the dining room to the office as you said but the likelihood of this working properly in the long term are slim. Better having the router in the real master and then go wireless (or powerline) to the PC(s) in question
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Forgot to say above, before you answered that with both lines connected the dining room connection still gives me a noise margin of 12-13, its only the office line that drops for some reason.

Looks like I may have to move the router then

I currently use my powerline connection for the PS3, and this Sagem only has 2 working ethernet ports working, other 2 are for future it says.

Unfortunately teh cable from the master to the office runs up the wall and across the house to the office, and there is no chance of getting a cable from the dining room to the office hidden.

Gary

Thanks

You are getting interference due to the cabling. This is quite common and one of the main reasons for fitting and using a filtered faceplate on the Master socket. Your best way would be to fit a filtered faceplate then use a longer RJ11 cable to connect the router, even if it means drilling a hole through the wall to keep it as short as possible. In my experience, anything up to 10m long will work OK as long as it is good quality twisted pair.

this Sagem only has 2 working ethernet ports working, other 2 are for future it says.
      That is not so, all the ports are perfectly usable.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right after all that, I have now removed the cable for the office line from everything, only leaving the second line installed.

I am currently running off of an extension cable from the dining room, with an Attenuation of 46.5 and a noise margin of 14.

Unfortunately between the master socket and the dining room/office is a hallway, so next to impossible to cross.

I am thinking of drilling through the wall behind the dining room socket, round the side of the house, and back in at the back of the office socket. This will in effect be the same as my extension lead, and also connect up the office socket in the correct manner, ie from another socket. I only have one cable connected to the back of the master now, which is feeding all of the sockets.

What a day this has been, thanks for all tips and help.

Time to ring Sky and ask them to remove the cap, and give me my full service back.

Cheers guys.

Gary

PS you are right, I have connected my printer via ethernet now, instead of wireless and it works fine, so much for the book then, for future services my a***

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

It will be once VoD goes live, for now they're just normal Ethernet ports...I think they're pre-configured in the FW so once new services go live they are just plug and play
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast