Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Just been activated!

This is a discussion on Just been activated! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry, meant the first sky tech I spoke to must have manually configured the SNR to 8.5db. I'm delighted to ...

spursman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Just been activated!

Sorry, meant the first sky tech I spoke to must have manually configured the SNR to 8.5db.

I'm delighted to be honest, 2meg quicker than Be with a higher SNR!

Cheers for all the advice.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

There are 3 SNR levels that can be used by Sky - 7, 9 and 12dB...they probably had you on 9dB
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Spursman just got your pm, I now its a month late and your probably sorted now, looks like you are.

With my Billion 7402nx I have...
      Upstream 1149981
      Downstream 17915224
      Elapsed Time 12 day 14 hr 31 min 23 sec
      SNR Margin(Upstream) 8.5 dB
      SNR Margin(Downstream) 7.30 dB
      Line Attenuation(Upstream) 12.5 dB
      Line Attenuation(Downstream) 31.0 dB
      I should add that with my Netgear DG843Gt the snr is lower at 29db, but syncs nowhere near the Billion.

What i did was on a nice sunny calm day I set the coding gain to 9.5 and resynced.
      Because my line was capped at 14mb after DLM it couldn't increase the sync, so the SNR down rose to 10.45db.

I then rang Sky and they were like "oh yeah looks like your line can handle much more" lets try this some things, it eventually settled on 17.9 down @ SNR 7db.
      I'm now capped at 17.9/1.3, i'm also had my max delays lowered to 8ms for gaming.

Basically what i can do now is change the coding gain myself to alter the speed (and therefor stabiltiy of my line)
      If I set it to 5, I sync at circa 16mb and the SNR is about 8bd, but the line is rock solid and will hold indefinately)
      Any higher than this and the sync goes up up to 17.9mb with coding gain 9.5.
      (Interestingly I found than coding gain 7 was quite unstable - but 8.5 & 9.5 were more stable and offered better speeds !!).

The odd times the line has dropped out it happens in the wee hours so i'm in bed and dont care !!! So i leave it at coding gain 9.5 mostly.

In answer to your other question I have phoned Sky numerous times over the past 2 years whilst connected with my Billion (i've had 2 rounds of DLM, initial one and then recently when I changed to the new 7.50 tariff)
      No-one has said anything.
      TBH as long as your not ringing up every 5 minutes with technical probs why would they care ????
      It would have to be a very pedantic "jobsworth" to make an issue over it....

Anyway hope your sorted, sorry for not getting back to you at the time.

p.s I saw you post somewhere you were going to tweak your SNR on the Billion.. how do you do that ? I didn't know there was any tool to do it on this router.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Thing is, though, should Sky want to kick people off using their own router they could do so in a day. They'd just check the vendor codes of the routers connected and anything not matching Sky would get booted

Doubt they'd do it but something to bare in mind
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123