Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PC apparently interfering with Laptop wifi

This is a discussion on PC apparently interfering with Laptop wifi within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have the Sky white Netgear router installed upstairs in the same room as a PC connected by Ethernet Cable. ...

Tiefbach is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01252
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

PC apparently interfering with Laptop wifi

I have the Sky white Netgear router installed upstairs in the same room as a PC connected by Ethernet Cable. The upstairs Router is connected to the BT Master Socket via a CAT5 cable. The PC has no wireless card, only Ethernet.

I have a LapTop downstairs which I use via WiFi to connect to the upstairs Sky Router.

My connection is capped at 3071Kbps and with the PC upstairs off, I get on the downstairs LapTop via WiFi

3071kbps downstream
      Att. 47.5
      NM around 10.0

798kbps upstream
      Att. 29.3
      NM 6.5.
      As soon as I switch on the upstairs PC the Laptop downstairs on Wifi drops to NM around 2.0 with no connectivity. Switching off the PC restores matters on the downstairs LapTop.

It makes no difference if I completely disconnect the PC from the router. The same still happens.

Also,connecting the Router to the downstairs test socket connection makes no difference. Even though the Router is downstairs and the PC is upstairs completely disconnected, it is still the same.

It appears that the PC is affectng the Router in some way even when the PC is completely disconnected from the Router.

It is a mystery to me how the PC can so drastically affect the LapTop (or the Router)

Any ideas?

Tiefbach

2. Advertisement
      Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

re: PC apparently interfering with Laptop wifi

Sounds like a classic case of RF interference. Do you have any wireless or infra red peripherals on your PC? Wireless mouse or keyboard perhaps? Has it got a Wireless card (even though you don't use it)?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel on your router to see if that avoids the interference? (try channels 1 or 11 as they don't overlap with the default ch.6)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It could be the PCs PSU pushing 'dirty' current back into the power line. This usually shows up as a reduced noise margin, but I suppose it could effect the wireless in the router. Do you have a surge protector you can run the router through?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spouse View Post
      Sounds like a classic case of RF interference. Do you have any wireless or infra red peripherals on your PC? Wireless mouse or keyboard perhaps? Has it got a Wireless card (even though you don't use it)?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel on your router to see if that avoids the interference? (try channels 1 or 11 as they don't overlap with the default ch.6)
      Thanks Mr Spouse. I did have a wireless mouse/keyboard but removal does not seem to have changed things. Also I have tried other channels without success.

I suspect it might be the "dirty current" thing suggested by Is it me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It could be the PCs PSU pushing 'dirty' current back into the power line. This usually shows up as a reduced noise margin, but I suppose it could effect the wireless in the router. Do you have a surge protector you can run the router through?
      Thank you Isitme. Having apparently eliminated the RF interference possibility, I suspect some sort of feedback along the lines you suggest.

I should perhaps have said in my earlier post that the PC always has a low noise margin (around 2/3) and it is only the laptop that drops from 8/10 to the same as the PC when the PC boots up.

I guess I will have to either replace the processor or probably the Motherboard/memory/Processor to be sure.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

can you borrow somebody else's PC to see if that is the problem.

Also if the PC is at fault if it is a PSU problem then you may only need to replace the PSU rather than the motherboard.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Why not try your laptop upstairs and connect it with ethernet, then try the PC back on and see if the same thing happens as with WiFi. Then try the laptop with wiFi rather than ethernet. Might help to explain what's happening.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try surge protectors first. The good quality ones not only protect against spikes but also prevent AC contamination.

As Adrian says, if it is your PC, it will be the PSU that is causing the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      can you borrow somebody else's PC to see if that is the problem.

Also if the PC is at fault if it is a PSU problem then you may only need to replace the PSU rather than the motherboard.
      Thanks. I will try that with my son's PC when i can get my hands on it. At least that will isolate things to my PC.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Why not try your laptop upstairs and connect it with ethernet, then try the PC back on and see if the same thing happens as with WiFi. Then try the laptop with wiFi rather than ethernet. Might help to explain what's happening.
      Thanks for that but I have done that following my first post to rule out RF interference. Its the same when connecting both PC & Laptop via Ethernet directly to the router. This supports the view that it is dirty current feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast