Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just moved in and problems.

This is a discussion on Just moved in and problems. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hiya, Just moved in to my first home and since thereís no cable ISP available I opted for Sky. Ordered ...

duck86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Exclamation Just moved in and problems.

Hiya,

Just moved in to my first home and since thereís no cable ISP available I opted for Sky. Ordered the broadband unlimited package with sky talk line rental a few weeks back and my "engineerís appointment date" was Monday the 20th between 8-1pm. So I paid the £39 installation fee and sat around like a lemon on Monday waiting for the engineer to come knocking. 1pm came and went. I rang sky up only to be told my house already has a BT line so its remote activation only, no engineer will be coming...... So why did they arrange an appointment for me with a timeslot? I had to take a day off work for nothing....I also paid £39 for what? As well as a 17day wait from ordering to activation...just to flip a switch?!

Anyways, after the rage I finally got connected up. I was told by the unhelpful chap on the phone that my line was active when I could hear a dial tone. Well heres the thing. I can't. I hear static and can't dial out.

After reading other posts on the forum I connected the filter directly into the test socket and disconnected the ring wire. My router stats with the phone and modem connected into the filter via the test socket.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 828 kbps 591 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.5db 41.2db
      Noise Margin 6.9db 7.2db

My broadband works but is slow as hell, but this is to be expected since Iím within the first 10day period. I can dial the phone from my mobile and here it ringing, but the phone handset doesn't ring or do anything. If I take the phone away from the equation by removing it from the filter. I get these stats from my router.

Connection Speed 1141 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.5db 40.9db
      Noise Margin 6.9db 7.6db

A slight improvement! But still no joy with the phone. The only thing I havenít tried is a different handset in the socket. Also if disconnect the modem and plug the phone directly into the test socket with no filter and then ring in...It rings! But I answer and nothing. Thereís still no dial tone.

Can't figure out if its a problem my end or theirs? any suggestions appreciated

Cheers

Dave

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Just moved in and problems.

As you said those stats come from the test socket i'd say you have a rather serious line issue affecting your line. They show your line at its maximum speed but with 56.5db attenuation you should have the potential to reach up to 4mb. Only thing I can advise you to do is to keep on at sky and get them to send an engineer (or multiple engineers) over to sort out your line.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, ill give them an earbashing shortly. I've also found out its not the handset since ive tested it in a mates house and it works perfectly.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duck86 View Post
      Ok, ill give them an earbashing shortly. I've also found out its not the handset since ive tested it in a mates house and it works perfectly.
      If your speed goes down when you plug in a phone, it looks like you may have a faulty filter. You would not be the first. Try plugging in another filter and see if you still get a reduction with the phone. You could also try it without a filter, use a dial up modem cable, such as the one that comes with the Sky box, provided it terminates in a BT plug.

The fact that you don't have dial tone on the phone means it is not connected properly at the exchange. Only Sky can get that fixed . If it is fixed your broadband may also improve, so concentrate on getting the phone fixed first.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Actually it could be the old crap filter issue thats cropped up recently, seems sky are supplying some dodgy filters at present - might be worth trying one from another source such as maplins.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Funny talking about duff filters - one of the two I received with the d-link replacement I got recently was faulty straight out of the box and killed my sync speed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just tried connect the router without the filter and get the following results:

Connection Speed 1194 kbps 630 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.5db 40.9db
      Noise Margin 6.9db 7.2db

So not much difference there, might just go and buy a new one just to for the sake of it. Is another one needed for the unused socket in the bedroom?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

No, you only need to filter used sockets.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just rang them up and the poor lad on the other end of the line was running me through all the steps i've done myself. After a few minutes of explaining to the chap that i've already done this. He said there was an LM error on the line so its a problem outside the house at the exchange... So just gotta wait until its sorted

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I assume he said 'LN' meaning the major fault location is the 'line'. I guess it's logged off to Openreach as a fault now - you should receive some kind of update within 48-72 hours typically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast