Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

new here

This is a discussion on new here within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The wireless has nothing to do with your sync speed, only your throughput. If there are several people using channel ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: new here

The wireless has nothing to do with your sync speed, only your throughput. If there are several people using channel 1, then change yours to another channel as far from those in use as possible. Channel 13 is usually a good bet, unless your neighbours have been reading this forum.
      Test socket stats will show your potential speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Test socket stats will show your potential speed.
      I think it's a lost cause as they were asked to do this 22 posts ago

kz3e is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: north shields
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

ok so i got up went out got back when the old man had gone to work and i opened the cupboard where the said master socket is to find absolute naff all apart from the fuse box gas etc.. no master socket in main enterance altho im sure we used to have a telephone on there .. unless the old man has had it removed and put it somewhere else if that is possibe ?? i have checked the phone line in the front room and the bedroom (only phone lines and no master socket .. (yes i have took the two screw out and checked under the cap) and also the one in the kitchen where the internet currently lives and also i have checked and all lines are fitted with adsl adapters .. this has pretty much mythed me .. i know the loft is being converted and alot of the feeds are up there new boiler etc... but again i will have to re check with my dad when he gets in to as the said location of the master socket :-s

Thanks

Did you look inside the sockets? The master socket will, or should have, a capacitor and other bits and bobs. Extensions will just have a plain board with the connectors on it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kz3e View Post
      ok so i got up went out got back when the old man had gone to work and i opened the cupboard where the said master socket is to find absolute naff all apart from the fuse box gas etc.. no master socket in main enterance altho im sure we used to have a telephone on there .. unless the old man has had it removed and put it somewhere else if that is possibe ?? i have checked the phone line in the front room and the bedroom (only phone lines and no master socket .. (yes i have took the two screw out and checked under the cap) and also the one in the kitchen where the internet currently lives and also i have checked and all lines are fitted with adsl adapters .. this has pretty much mythed me .. i know the loft is being converted and alot of the feeds are up there new boiler etc... but again i will have to re check with my dad when he gets in to as the said location of the master socket :-s
      ok i found it altho there are no availible plug sockets but il find and extention and il put up the results .. who would have thought you wud have put a coat rack over it !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Did you look inside the sockets? The master socket will, or should have, a capacitor and other bits and bobs. Extensions will just have a plain board with the connectors on it.
      yeah it was under the coat rack :-/ its different to all the others its bigger to start with lol im gonna kick me mum off facebook (bejewled blitz addict) and test it then il upload stats

Thanks

Make sure it is a power extension, not a phone one, or you will get a false result.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

ok so i unscrewed it and then got rid of all the paint on it as it was more or less glued on i pulled off the socket but then bottled out on testing it cos me mum was like you better not break it or you dad will kill ya kinda thing but after the router not recognising the connection for 5mins these are my new stats

DownStream Connection Speed 3142 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 745 kbps

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3142 kbps 745 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48 db 30 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 10 db

baring in mind untill i opened the master socket i was getting just average 1700kbps so i have now gone to 3 meg this may hopefully increase now i have messed on with the master socket and sorry it has taken me ages to well not get the results but il ask my dad polietly to check them in the week but for now i am not telling him know we have gone to 3meg lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kz3e View Post
      ok so i unscrewed it and then got rid of all the paint on it as it was more or less glued on i pulled off the socket but then bottled out on testing it cos me mum was like you better not break it or you dad will kill ya kinda thing but after the router not recognising the connection for 5mins these are my new stats

DownStream Connection Speed 3142 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 745 kbps

Noise Margin 7 db 10 db

baring in mind untill i opened the master socket i was getting just average 1700kbps so i have now gone to 3 meg this may hopefully increase now i have messed on with the master socket and sorry it has taken me ages to well not get the results but il ask my dad polietly to check them in the week but for now i am not telling him know we have gone to 3meg lol
      old connection untill the box was open
      Connection Speed 1977 kbps 752 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49 db 30 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 11 db

and new as above
      Noise Margin 9 db 10 db
      so d/l up u/s down
      line att -1db
      and noise up 3 and down 1 ..

Thanks

I doubt if you will see much more, but you have almost doubled your speed which means that your internal wiring has been dragging your speed down. Your next task is to convince your dad to fit a filtered faceplate, find a position as close to the filtered faceplate as you can and connect to it using a longer good quality RJ11 cable.

XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation
      Belkin CC3011AED25 7.6m High Speed RJ11 to RJ11 Internet Modem Cable

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast