Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

new here

This is a discussion on new here within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; There's no point in ringing Sky. It's like buying a new car and then moaning at the salesman because it ...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: new here

There's no point in ringing Sky. It's like buying a new car and then moaning at the salesman because it won't fit in the garage.

I strongly recommend you take the advice you have been given in the whole of the thread and provide the info that people have asked for.

We will happily help you and if you need to call sky we'll also help from our many years of experience on how to word the phone call.

.... but you need to provide the info we have asked for no matter how pointless you feel it is.

If VM is such good value, then why did you choose sky in the first place?

2. Advertisement
      kz3e is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: north shields
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

the reason im back with sky is when i moved out of my flat and back into the family home i chose not to migrate as it wud have been a waist of broadband and tv really lol having sky already in place .. im still waiting on sorting out the checks on the master socket unfortunately not got around to it at the moment but as soon as i can i will upload the stats .. altho like i say the master socket never gets used and putting the router in a cupboard with a door on it will seem pointless its like sticking a ps3 in a confined space and wondering why it over heated lol and wording out a phone call seems a little extream buy the context of your last post ..

Thanks

FULL ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 335:04:15
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2140279 2525166 0 2243 4856 70:13:59
      LAN 100M/Full 312339 0 0 35 0 335:04:10
      WLAN 11M/54M 15669278 12250008 0 2320 1622 335:03:58
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1977 kbps 752 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49 db 30 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 11 db

ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 1977 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 752 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Wireless Port
      Name (SSID) SKY*****
      Region Europe
      Channel 1
      Wireless AP enable
      Broadcast Name enable

untill i get the info from the master socket this is all of my stats
      let me know if any are wrong i.e if i shud change my channel or if my filmware is out dated ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kz3e View Post
      FULL ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 335:04:15
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2140279 2525166 0 2243 4856 70:13:59
      LAN 100M/Full 312339 0 0 35 0 335:04:10
      WLAN 11M/54M 15669278 12250008 0 2320 1622 335:03:58
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1977 kbps 752 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49 db 30 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 11 db

ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 1977 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 752 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Wireless Port
      Name (SSID) SKY*****
      Region Europe
      Channel 1
      Wireless AP enable
      Broadcast Name enable

untill i get the info from the master socket this is all of my stats
      let me know if any are wrong i.e if i shud change my channel or if my filmware is out dated ?
      Firmware Version V2.02.44 for router

also my router is the new netgear not the v1 as stated above i dont know any model number as it has nothing on all i know is they have made a sagem one too and its the same one featured in this link

Setting up your Sky Wireless Router

altho i do have a spare Netgear DG834GT at my brothers i bought these (there not offficial sky ones.. i got one for sky and then when i had virgin bought one for virgin so shud i ditch the black one and use the Netgear DG834GT again ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kz3e View Post
      Firmware Version V2.02.44 for router

also my router is the new netgear not the v1 as stated above i dont know any model number as it has nothing on all i know is they have made a sagem one too and its the same one featured in this link

Setting up your Sky Wireless Router

altho i do have a spare Netgear DG834GT at my brothers i bought these (there not offficial sky ones.. i got one for sky and then when i had virgin bought one for virgin so shud i ditch the black one and use the Netgear DG834GT again ?
      ok the router is the Netgear V2 DG934G im sure my brother had a fault with his and ended up returning it and using an official sky DG834GT as he is a new user of bout 6months with the hd+ bundle and 20meg (altho he lives over the road from a booster apparently and the fact i live closer to the exchange lol but again it could be my master socket untill its tested we wont be sure thanks for the patience

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

It'll likely be wiring, so throw up your stats once you've tried, preferably, the test socket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      It'll likely be wiring, so throw up your stats once you've tried, preferably, the test socket.
      cheers i will do ..

just done a test on the area and there are 3 out of 5 sky users all in my street 2 are using netgears on channel 1 and 1 using belkin 1 using sagem all of there connections are red except mine is on 5 green bars .. my received signal strength indicator (rssi) is averaged at -64 if that makes sense my speed is 54 as standard and im using a wpa-tkip security

i will try and get the stats from the master tomorrow when the old man goes out just dont want him kicking off at poking around lol

Exchange:
      Thanks

You can check the signal by going to command prompt (start > all programs > accessories > command prompt) and then type the following without the quotations: 'netsh wlan show all'

It'll return the signal strength of your network connection and also the strengths and channels of the surrounding networks viewable in your area.

Thanks

ive been browsing around a few posts and also a few sites to gain some advantage lol another thing is if i do the bt line test for the exchange etc.. . as well as using router in master socket do you think that would be more information ? as we have a bt box on the corner of the street basically a stone throw away..and about a month ago they were working on it and also they have been working down my street with gas and water since the change to sky broadband this may have been a cause to the fault at hand .. also im using ex direcroty i have not found any topics stating this causes a problem with syncing or sending information down the line but im sure it would make my connection invisible to an extent ? the only reason im after finding out my true conection ability is because the xbox 360 for xbox live.. at the moment i have done another speed test and it states im on a 1.6mbps connection and online gaming is more or less imposible on the 360 with player based servers.

again i will test the master socket in the morning and upload the stats asap for analysis i may just ring bt and sky to do another line test and see if the line can be uncapped a little bit as someone said before with my noise margin etc i should be recieving upto 8meg at a push depending on the master sockets reading. sky didnt believe that we were getting said below 2meg connection and again during the line test the connection went up most was about 43-54mbps but stayed on 15 for a while before it dropped back down to 1.5meg (according to the laptop altho i didnt think that was possible as sky only supports upto 20meg)

Exchange:
      Thanks

To rule out an internal fault, all you can really do is the following:

Assuming you have a nte5 master socket (image at the end of the post), then unscrew the two screws and take the bottom half off.

Behind to the right hand side you have the test socket; swap over for another microfilter (the two-way white boxes that read 'adsl' 'phone' and 'modem') if you have a spare handy and plug this directly into the test socket.

Then plug in the short grey dsl cable Sky supplied into the modem side of the filter and then the other end obviously fits into the adsl port on the router. Re-post the stats once you've done that.

Forget about line tests, especially from BT - they'll just tell you to contact Sky unless you have audible noise on your landline. Sky CST (customer solutions team) will run line tests if your case needs escalated to them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast