Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Interesting BT versus Sky comparison

This is a discussion on Interesting BT versus Sky comparison within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I thought ftc was only the main cable to the cabinet ? Surely they dont run a seperate fo from ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Interesting BT versus Sky comparison

I thought ftc was only the main cable to the cabinet ? Surely they dont run a seperate fo from the exchange for every line thats connected to that cabinet ?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The cabinet is round the corner.
      Is it a new FO cabinet? If its not, the fibre cabinet could be several hundred yards away.

I appreciate the diff between fibre optic and copper cable so what I was getting at was how would good ole BT be able to upgrade an individual customers line from the exchange to the cabinet in a way which restricted the improvement to that line.
      They are not upgrading individual lines, a fibre cable is laid from the new cabinet to the exchange and BT charge for the use of that cable. At the moment, only BT and their rebadged suppliers have access to it. Depending on the size of the cable it can carry several hundred lines and the existing copper to the house is connected to it. The copper wire is still in place back to the exchange and the way things are going, very shortly, only LLU providers will be using it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Longshanks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Interesting BT versus Sky comparison

Many thanks for explaining. By the way I've no idea whether the cabinet is FO.

The choice seems to be 20 for 18-25Mb with BT or 15 for 3.5Mb with Sky.

Seems like a no brainer to me so maybe leaving this forum shortly!!

Longshanks

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you don't have Sky TV or Talk, Sky broadband is certainly not the right option. The cheapest option with Infinity only gives you 40Gb. BT are introducing a 'pay when you go over' policy from November this year. They will be charging 1 per Gb in units of 5Gb, which means if you go over by 6Gb, it will cost you an extra 10. Even their Unlimited package is 'Subject to Network Management' which means it is not really unlimited.

Sky are going to loose a lot of customers on exchanges with fibre, if they do not find some way of using it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Longshanks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Currently have Sky TV and Broadband but not Sky Talk.

I am a high user so I would have to pay for the BT equivalent which I think is about 27 excluding the costs you quote.

The Sky service is very reliable for me with hardly any interruptions despite my continual usage.

However, it would be nice to have more speed.

Many thanks again.

Longshanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12