Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting Broadband Unlimited

This is a discussion on Getting Broadband Unlimited within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I've just moved house and activated the phone line with BT (it already had a dial tone so ...

whales is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Getting Broadband Unlimited

Hi there,

I've just moved house and activated the phone line with BT (it already had a dial tone so BT could reactivate it for free - any company apart from BT, including Sky, wanted me to pay). I pay BT 12.79 per month line rental and get free 1571, free caller display and "privacy at home".

I've been looking at getting broadband and the Sky Unlimited package at 7.50 a month sounds like a good deal. Are there any restrictions or throttling on this? The Sky website makes it sound like there aren't.

I don't want Sky TV so I understand that i'll have to pay 2.50 a month more, bringing the total cost to 10. That's fine, and seems very good value. What i'm confused about is the Sky Talk Freetime. If I take this then the total cost stays at 10, but am I allowed to, given that i've just signed a 12 month contract with BT? Also BT's terms say that i'll have to pay all sorts of extra charges for the line renal and the calling features (caller display, 1571, privacy at home etc.) if I don't make my calls with them. Is there any way of getting around these extra charges, as I have to pay 5 extra a month to Sky anyway if I don't take Sky Talk Freetime? I've read somewhere about using 1280 to divert some calls through BT but apparantly that doesn't work anymore.

What would you suggest is the best way of doing things? It's all so confusing, so i'd be really grateful for any help at all. Thank you so much.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Getting Broadband Unlimited

You won't get Sky ADSL for 10 per month if you don't have Sky tv? Where did you get that pricing from? you have to have Sky TV to get Sky ADSL and the pricing difference is if you don't take Sky talk not Sky TV.

telephone88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You do not have to have Sky TV to get broadband with sky. How much were Sky looking to activate a line?

whales is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

It's available without Sky TV here: sky.com/shop/broadband-only

The price of 10 is made up of the normal 7.50 for broadband unlimited, plus a 2.50 surcharge for not taking the TV package.

Sky wanted either 39 or 49 (I can't remember exactly) to activate the phone line - both their website and their call centre said I needed to pay that as I needed a new line installed, even though the BT website said that there was an existing line at my new house which just needed reactivating for free. So naturally I picked BT for my line rental, they activated the existing line for me free, and it's all working fine. But now I need broadband and i'm a bit stuck - if I go with the Sky 10 package above, then my calls will go through Sky Talk Freetime so I will have to pay even more to BT because BT say if I don't make 2 calls with them per month then they'll charge me an extra 1.50 per month for line rental and an extra 3 per month for the calling features (the "free" BT things like voicemail, caller display and privacy at home), but if I don't take Sky Talk Freetime then Sky put the price of the broadband up by 5 anyway! Unless i'm being thick then it seems like i'm stuck - any ideas?

Thanks again.

telephone88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

BT are bitches if they are up to that carry on if you move to somebody else for your calls. If that's what they are at though then 15 for truly unlimited broadband, free activation and free router is still an ok deal.

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

bt will also charge around 10p eveytime you use 1471 to find out your last caller info

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
      bt will also charge around 10p eveytime you use 1471 to find out your last caller info
      Isn't that just when you use '3' to call back?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Sky charge 39 to reactivate the line, and after that its 11 per month line rental. Caller display is free. With the call package unlimited BB is 7.50 per month. Without it, BB is 12.50 a month. Not sure if this increases if you don't have the tv.

MMAFan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

I was faced with the same issue. In the end I chose to bite the bullet and pay the 39, on the basis that within a few months I would make enough savings with Sky to cover this cost, rather than go with BT.

Paul.

white43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dorchester
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky BB is 15, not 10.

If you have Sky TV, it's 12.50. If you take Sky Talk as well, then it's 7.50.

Sky Talk currently gets you a 5 discount, TV a further or single 2.50 discount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast