Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connected but no web

This is a discussion on Connected but no web within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Switched to sky bb in January from BT . No real problems except speed issues which were finally sorted. Woke ...

mc*redevil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Connected but no web

Switched to sky bb in January from BT. No real problems except speed issues which were finally sorted. Woke up Tuesday last week (the 7th) to amber light on router and web sites that would try but not load.
      Powered router and got green lights but still no web. Wireless works and ethernet cable also works. Called sky tech support and tried everything including test socket, reset router etc with no joy. Able to ping sites and router successfully but no web page will successfully and the Sky test fails with error 200 every time. The tech ordered a new router that as of today still has not arrived. I have two desk tops and four lap tops in my house that will now longer successfully load a web page.
      Out of desperation, I fired up my belkin router that I used with BT, extracted and applied the sky router codes and it performs exactly like the sky router. It says it is connected but will not load any web pages. I have called sky six times and told them I believe there is a problem at the exchange or on the line but they just repeat their script that says wait on the new router that they promised for the 14th at the latest that never came.
      I have never had a worse customer service experience in my life. One tech support left me on hold for 20 minutes and never came back after I asked to speak with a manager. Finally got a manager to send out a BT open reach engineer and the line checked out at 8 mb and it passed the pair test. He told me he has seen the exact same problem I have which was finally fixed after 5 call outs and numerous arguments between BTOR and the ISP by the ISP cancelling and restarting that customer’s line.
      Sky router stats are below. Any one else seen a similar problem and if so how was it fixed? I am on my second week of McDonald’s wireless where my laptop still works fine on the cloud network!

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 06:09:31

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2074 3475 0 11 132 06:07:37
      LAN 100M/Full 48119 41453 0 395 299 06:09:26
      WLAN 11M/54M 3509 308 0 16 1 06:09:13
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6912 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35 db 20 db
      Noise Margin 3 db 16 db

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Connected but no web

Seems you're not getting an IP address - anyone check your router isn't suspended yet?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

In addition your Noise Margin is very low for the attenuation and speed your getting, are those stats from the test socket?

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Assuming sky checked all the basics (test socket, router suspension, checking surrounding ports for PPP, changing line config etc.) then if you're still not getting an IP, you may be looking at a TPS next.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Seems you're not getting an IP address - anyone check your router isn't suspended yet?
      I do not know but I will ask tonight when I get home. Thanx

Thanks

I am plugged into the face plate of the main socket, not the test socket inside the face plate. We did try the test socket with no joy.

Thanks

The nightmare continues. Called sky again and confirmed the router was not suspended. I apparently am getting an IP address. I have seen it on the router page and watched it change by restarting the router. I asked to have the noise margin increased and the person I spoke with refused. I asked her how long it would take to shut off and restart my BB and she said up to 14 days. She said she was seeing errors on the line and the problem was with the line and the engineer that came out did not do the job properly. I told her the engineer told me he had been in the middle of ISP v BT finger pointing before and warned me it would probably happen again since he found nothing wrong. Called back to see when the rescheduled engineer was coming and spoke to an escalation tech who looked and my exchange card thanks to me asking questions following User5 post and discovered that everybody on that card had already logged a problem like mine. It appears everything is connected and operational but there is minimal data flow. He was going to try and get the exchange group? to "bounce the card" last night but it still does not work as of this morning. How can an organization like sky be so clueless? User5 can you please explain what is a TPS? Thanx everyone for the previous replies.

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Can you unscrew the faceplate and connect to the test socket and repost your
      router stats from there, Sky use a 7db target noise margin yours is dropping way
      under that so there noise on the line comming from somewhere.

Infact leave it in the test socket anyway regardless till you get the issues resolved
      remeber the Microfilter should be the first thing conected to the test socket, no
      spliters or double phone adapters.
      Last edited by dsldude; 18-09-10 at 12:15 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

TPS - Tie Pair Shift

Basically moving you from one port in the exchange to another
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mc*redevil View Post
      The nightmare continues. Called sky again and confirmed the router was not suspended. I apparently am getting an IP address. I have seen it on the router page and watched it change by restarting the router. I asked to have the noise margin increased and the person I spoke with refused. I asked her how long it would take to shut off and restart my BB and she said up to 14 days. She said she was seeing errors on the line and the problem was with the line and the engineer that came out did not do the job properly. I told her the engineer told me he had been in the middle of ISP v BT finger pointing before and warned me it would probably happen again since he found nothing wrong. Called back to see when the rescheduled engineer was coming and spoke to an escalation tech who looked and my exchange card thanks to me asking questions following User5 post and discovered that everybody on that card had already logged a problem like mine. It appears everything is connected and operational but there is minimal data flow. He was going to try and get the exchange group? to "bounce the card" last night but it still does not work as of this morning. How can an organization like sky be so clueless? User5 can you please explain what is a TPS? Thanx everyone for the previous replies.
      There have been a few of these recently whereby customers are getting an IP session, but no cell/data movement - whole exchange issue. They need to hand it to fault management to bounce/reset the exchange card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast