Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

New Sky BB, DLM, and other stuff

This is a discussion on New Sky BB, DLM, and other stuff within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Below is an email I have just sent to Sky, but would be greatful is anyone else also has ...

Khristian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEDUDL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Dudley (Tye & Wear)

New Sky BB, DLM, and other stuff

Below is an email I have just sent to Sky, but would be greatful is anyone else also has any comments or suggestions :-)

(test socket stats are at the end)

I am contacting you regarding our new Sky Broadband package.

I was originally informed that our line would be enabled on the upto 20mb package, which I see it has, however I have a few questions.

I am aware at the moment that DLM is in progress to determine the stable line speed, however I have noted that the line never seems to attempt to sync above 8190 kpbs. Is there a reason for this, or is it a part of the DLM process?

As preparation for the DLM testing I have already removed all extension wiring, and my router is plugged into the test socket on the NTE5. This meaning that I have removed the faceplate from the master socket, and have only connected a Sky supplied filter, to which the modem is connected with the grey DSL cable supplied by Sky.

I have also noticed that my line attenuation has gone from 34db (as it was with our previous ISP), up to 37db although I'm assuming that this is normal switching from ADSL Max to ADSL 2+. However I have also noticed that even while connected at 8190 kbps that my noise margin varies wildly between 2db and 13db which to me indictes that there is something on the BT side of the line causing noise. The same can also be said for the attenuation as I have noted that on a few occasions this has jumped from 37db as high as 50db which as far as I am aware is not a good sign.

We have done some checks already, and see from a line with 37db attenuation that it should be able to support 7819kbps (on ADSL Max), and 14190 kbps (on ADSL2+), and that the line length is approximately 2462 meters. I can also confirm that while with O2 on ADSL2+ we did receive up to 12mb and with Tiscali on ADSL Max we received around 7612kbps. This possibly indicates that a problem has arisen since the line was changed to Sky.

Stats at 09:16 16/09/10

Connection Speed: 8190 kbps / 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 37.0db / 22.1db
      Noise Margin: 10.3db / 17.6 db

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV

Re: New Sky BB, DLM, and other stuff

A lot of what you just sent them will wash over the vast majority of Sky's first line support. You'd be better calling and speaking to CST as they'll know what you're on about (hopefully).

If the SNR is moving that much then there's going to be issues with the external line but if you've come from another ADSL ISP then use the old router and see if things move as much. If not then first thing to change is the Sky router.

If it continues to fluctuate then Sky will need to get BTOR on the job

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Re: New Sky BB, DLM, and other stuff

Incidentally not many people get 14mb on that attenuation! The normal is around 12mb.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB