Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Firewall rule or port forwarding issue

This is a discussion on Firewall rule or port forwarding issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I have just invested in a Synology NAS unit and I am trying to set-up external access to the ...

Discodunc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01453
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Firewall rule or port forwarding issue

Hello,

I have just invested in a Synology NAS unit and I am trying to set-up external access to the unit. I would like to be able to allow inbound HTTP and FTP traffic to the unit for web management.

I am not sure what unit i have but it looks like a small SkyHD unit i think its the Sagem.

I have tried adding a rule that allows HTTP for inbound traffic but when I enter the DDNS address I have registered it does not get to the unit just to the router login?

So I then tried adding the port 5000 as it only specifies 80 on the router and the Synology box has :5000 after the DDNS address. It tells me this address already exists, as I thought it might. I tried putting :80 at the end of the DDNS but nope that didnít work.

So I just allowed all traffic inbound and this allowed me to get the units interface no issue? Of course I have deleted this rule now. So I am assuming its something I am doing wrong on the router but the rule on the firewall looks right to me? I would have thought this would have been a simple job.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please, any help is much appreciated.

Disco

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Firewall rule or port forwarding issue

If you try and view it from your side of the netwrok it would show the router login page because of NAT

If you set it up with a test password, create your rule and PM me with an IP etc I can test from this end for you. Once you know it is working just change the password etc

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks
      Blog Entries

As long as you forward port 5000 to the IP of the Synology kit. This could be 192.168.0.10 or whatever it is actually set to.

I think it would work as I am getting an error page.

Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found.

© 2010 Synology Inc.

The Management UI of Synology Product uses port 5000. Follow the steps below:

1. Forward port number 5000 of the router IP to port number 5000 of the Synology Server IP.
      2. Open your web browser and link to "http://external IP:5000." For example, if your external IP is 66.94.234.215, link to http://66.94.234.215:5000.
      3. Enable Surveillance Station on the web management UI.
      4. Click on “Surveillance Station” in the right-top corner.

Note: If you use MPEG-4 IP cameras, additional port 55736-55863 should be forwarded.

If I try this,

To access Photo Station or Web Station

Web applications such as Photo Station and Web Station use port 80. Please follow the steps below:

1. Enable Photo Station or Web Station on the web management UI.
      2. Forward port 80 of the router IP to port 80 of the Synology Product IP.
      3. To access Web Station, type "http://external-IP" in the address field, for example, http://66.94.234.215.
      4. To access Photo Station, type "http://external-IP/photo", for example, http://66.94.234.215/photo.
      I get this message,

The service is disabled now.

© 2008 Synology Inc.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi

It's working fine now.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firewall rule or port forwarding issue-synology.jpg